April 20, 2024, 11:13:34 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Problems configuring ppp on a client and server  (Read 3353 times)

Offline guyhillier

• Linux Noob !
Problems configuring ppp on a client and server
« on: November 26, 2008, 04:53:32 PM »
Hi everyone.

I am trying to set up a dial-up connection between a client and a server using ppp and a serially-attached modem. I am running OpenSuSE 10.0 on both platforms. I have been able to dial the server machine from the client using a dial-up script created as /etc/ppp/peers/isp as follows:

ttyS0 38400 crtscts
  connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chat-isp'
  noauth

The /etc/ppp/chat-isp file has the following content:

ABORT "NO CARRIER"
  ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
  ABORT "ERROR"
  ABORT "NO ANSWER"
  ABORT "BUSY"
  ABORT "Username/Password Incorrect"
  "" "at"
  OK "AT Q0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0"
  OK "ATDT9,558514"
  "name:" "^ghillier"
  "word:" "\qq1w2e3r4"
  "ispts" "\q^Uppp"
  "~-^Uppp-~"

I trigger the process by using the command "pppd call isp" and the modem dials the server modem and connects ok. However, the script then reports the error "Connect script failed"

If I look in the /var/log/mgetty.ttyS0 file, I can see that the problem appears to be that ppp is not starting. The last two entries in the log file as as follows:

print welcome banner (/etc/issue)
  getlogname (AUTO_PPP), read:

My /etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config has the following included:

/AutoPPP/ -    a_ppp   /usr/sbin/pppd -chap +pap noauth debug proxyarp

This would appear to be the line which is failing. However, the syntax appears to be all-right because if I run the command " /usr/sbin/pppd -chap +pap noauth debug proxyarp " I get the expected garbage on the screen and I can open a second Konsole window and successfully perform the command " ifconfig ppp0 "

Does anyone out there have any ideas why the mgetty process will not trigger the pppd process when I try and dial in from my client?

Thanks very much in advance.