April 23, 2024, 10:58:21 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Virtualbox\Fedora 9-Second hard drive not visible  (Read 7136 times)

Offline linuxpuzzled

Virtualbox\Fedora 9-Second hard drive not visible
« on: July 28, 2008, 01:16:30 AM »
As I'm sure you can surmise by my member name I am not an expert at Linux. OK, that's an understatement, I'm a noob. :-) I have a problem that has me stumped. I recently installed Fedora 9 for the dual purpose of learning about Linux and Window's (I believe most of you refer to it as Windoze if I remember correctly, ;-) ) Server 2008 so I setup my previous gaming system with a 20gig hard drive and installed Fedora 9 on it. I decided to install another 20gig hard drive to it so that after a Virtualbox install I would have a place to install the virtual Server 2008 machine. I noticed that after formatting the hdd with ext3 and rebooting, the OS automatically saw the drive and put an icon in the my computer field for easy access from the OS gui. Well, here is where I am stumped. The Virtualbox drive wizard does not "see" the second drive, only the original, system drive. I cannot find a way for Virtualbox to see the second 20gig drive so that I can create the virtual machine on it. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 02:18:26 AM by Ricky »

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
Re: Virtualbox\Fedora 9 Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 02:17:53 AM »
Welcome to LS, well I was  literally untouched to linux from long time but recent few days just reminded me lots of old days as I had to troubleshoot a production linux server which was in problem from last 1 year.. and now it is solved.

So in short, if I make any mistake in giving solution then just consider it that I am not updated ... :)

Actually its not clear from your post that what is virtualbox's role here. As far as I know, virtual box runs inside another OS, so I assume its running inside Fedora.. ??
But virtual box is unable to recognize newly added harddrive. !!

If that is the case then give me output of
Code: [Select]
fdisk -land also what is content of your /etc/fstab !