March 29, 2024, 02:43:21 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Internet connection sharing? how-to?  (Read 4220 times)

Offline Soldats

Internet connection sharing? how-to?
« on: April 23, 2008, 03:52:16 PM »
Hi,

I'm using ubuntu 7.10 as a guest on WinXP using Vmware worksstation 6

I have 2 internet connections:
1) through a gateway in Campus dorms (has http proxy with authentication)
2) 3G/7.2Mb cell internet modem (without proxy or authentication) .. modem is USB Bandluxe C120

before using ubuntu, I used a software called webscout 2 to make my PC a proxy server for a friend of mine in other building with different gateway but same network. He was able to enjoy my 3G connection this way. But, I was unable to use my 1st connection because the PC uses the 3G connection only.. even with the LAN cable pluged-in.

my work around is to use the gateway connection on WinXp Only..so, I can access LAN shares.
and use the 3G connection on ubuntu.

I want to configure ubuntu to have a static LAN IP (in order to make my friend connect to my ubuntu to use the 3g connection)

note that my IP will be something like: 10.90.2.xxx
my friend's IP: 10.90.1.xxx

If you need further info, let me know.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
Re: Internet connection sharing? how-to?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 06:34:14 PM »
May be I am tired but I do not clearly understood your problem.
Hence there may be a lot of work around.

From your question it looks like you want to use your 3G connection but also Campus internet ! But when you are connected through 3G modem then you can't access campus network ?

Well, first can you tell me what is the network setup of your campus ? You said it uses proxy authentication but how you connect to your campus network? Do you have to modify your browser settings also ?

Also, how your modem works ? Do it work like a router ie. it too have some IP ?

Offline Soldats

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 09:54:37 AM »
Thanks for trying..

I've already removed ubuntu 7.10 (since it needs lots of terminal commands while I'm a programming noob)

Now, I got it working using vmware with two WinXP installations.. one is the host that I use.. The other is a virtual guest that is used as a proxy server (using webscout v2).

Now, me & my friend can access both internet connections by setting our PC to use the guest proxy server name and port without any troubles.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 05:07:42 PM »
Well, whatever it is but you do not need two OS. Anyways, since you are not using linux anymore then its not a issue of a linux forum.