April 19, 2024, 10:11:55 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: HOW 2 make CD that can boot linux, PLS CHK ITS NOT THE SAME  (Read 5330 times)

Offline iamtapu

HOW 2 make CD that can boot linux, PLS CHK ITS NOT THE SAME
« on: March 29, 2004, 02:50:24 PM »
hi everyone,
i will try to explain my problem as clearly as possible and would explain what i want to do.
i would like to make a cd throug which i can boot to my linux system.i mean when i installed linux, i choose not to install any boot loader like grub or lilo, instead i made a bootfloppy, through which i boot to my linux system everytime. it works fine.but the problem is we have 5 other pc in our home and none of them a floppy drive and we dont want buy any floppy drive either cause all of the computer is networked.But all of them has a cd rom dirve. i would like to install linux in each of them and dont want to install any bootloader.i would like to use the option to make a boot floppy disk.
so can someone tell me how can i make a bootcd as same as the bootfloppy.i have tried to make a bootcd from the Nero burnig rom,but when nero ask for the source from where the boot cd files would be taken and if i point out the floppy that i made on the time of installing linux(the bootfloppy) the Nero tels me that there is some error and it cant burn the cd.i have tried so many times.

i have tried the "Linux Bootdisk HOWTO though it was quite confusing and then I end up having a 2.1 GB(pls check it is not MB,it is GB)of a bootcd.iso file ......defenitely which i cant get into a CD.and i tried some other websites help as well and end up making a boot cd that will only boot to the level from where i get the command line to install a new linux ditribution.did u get what i mean?with thouse bootcd i made they only boot my computer to the prompt from where it asks me to press enter to start installing a linux os or from where i can go to other optiong like install linux in text mode or some thing.but its not what i want.i want to make a bootcd that will work same as the bootfloppy we make at the end of our linux installation.i mean the boot floppy we use to boot our linux system.PLS HELP......pls help some one........................................ if u dont understand any part of my problem pls pls let me know, i will be more than glad to explain once again.........

Offline aaa

• Tux Awared
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 05:45:59 PM »
See this:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?postid=810587#post810587
You use the image of a bootable floppy to create a bootable cd. Get the image like this:
dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/bootimagefile.img

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 11:45:23 PM »
Ok.. if you need more customization.. then wait.. I have something.. just not able to find where i have written for my use :)