April 25, 2024, 08:12:24 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Problems In Retrieving Mail After Upgrade  (Read 3010 times)

Offline rajesh.bahl

• Linux Learner
Problems In Retrieving Mail After Upgrade
« on: August 09, 2007, 05:49:55 PM »
Dear All,

I am facing problem in retrieving mails of my office colleagues:

We had a working setup of : Postfix with Clam AV and amavisd-new running on Fedora Core 2. It has been running beautifully over last more than two and half years without a problem.

With increase in activities, we upgraded the server hardware and OS. The new machine is IBM x100 server. The OS has been CentOS 4.4. The problems now being faced are:-

1. If we put fetchmail command i.e. fetchmail -d 900 at the end of /etc/rc.local file, the system gives following error during bootup:

fetchmail: no mail servers have been specified.

Whereas the .fetchmailrc  file is the same ( has been copied  from old fedora core 2 server).

The same command, if run from command line starts the fetchmail in daemon mode properly.

2.  Even if we start fetchmail from command line, it proceeds a few steps and apparently hangs after displaying following error:-

fetchmail: smtp listener protocol error

Can some one help in solving these problems ?

Thanks In Advance
rajesh.bahl

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
Re: Problems In Retrieving Mail After Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 11:52:55 PM »
can you give me logs for fetchmail?

Seems that its not able to read config file on startup and is ownership problem.

second problem, do not have idea but I think its due to that its being running from root !

Offline rajesh.bahl

• Linux Learner
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 05:48:38 PM »

Hi !

It was indeed a problem of PATH. I had to explicitly define the command in /etc/rc.local as:

fetchmail -d 900 -f /root/.fetchmailrc

and this sorted out both the issues.

But as you mentioned about fetchmail logs ---- where to find that ? I could not locate in the system although fetchmail is running properly. ( I looked in /var/log/  directory but there in nothing called fetchmail ).
Can you please suggest where is this particular log so that the same can be referred to in case required ?

Thanks anyway !

rajesh.bahl

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 07:43:26 PM »
Fetchmail logs to /var/log/mail.log just like Postfix or sendmail or you can specify log file in configuration.

Offline rajesh.bahl

• Linux Learner
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 02:36:41 PM »

Thanks, Ricky !

regards
rajesh.bahl