April 18, 2024, 11:57:14 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Poll

daul bootin problem in redhat 7.1

hepl
0 (0%)
read
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: dual booting  (Read 4807 times)

Offline naveenth

• Linux Noob !
dual booting
« on: July 26, 2007, 06:11:16 PM »
i install redhat 7.1 to my pc .but after install  boot loader appear  only the linux os not windows.befor i install that windows was working proper.i want to know that why is that ?if you think i want to mount my haddisk how i mount it .form where i can find a pacth?
now i reset my win boot loader .so when booting no any choice menu .just booting from win .how do i make it to show a proper boot loader?

Offline gauravbajaj

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
Re: dual booting
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 09:38:09 AM »
First install Windows the go for Linux,

Tel me when u installed Linux, wheather it showed the both OS at Default OS boot screen?

And make sure to Install your Linux Loader i.e LILO at MBR

Other reason is that , it might be possible that as LILO boot loader doesn't supports LBA thats why its not showing OS Booting options.

Thanks
Gaurav

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 11:43:13 AM »
Well, if you have not overwritten windows partition then you can get your windows back.
You have installed Lilo on MBR of primary hdd so it has overwritten windows boot loader.
You can get everything back without reinstalling but really it needs many things..
See here : http://www.linuxsolved.com/linux-forums/linux-tutorials-how-tos-b4.0/
If any of the boot related Tutorial fits your needs..

Else do as Gaurav said.. ie. installed windows first and then linux ..

But I just noticed here.. you had installed linux only after windows.. then it should be there in Lilo ..
Hmm..
Try adding "lba32" in /etc/lilo.conf and then run lilo .. ie.
type
Code: [Select]
lilo

Offline naveenth

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 12:16:37 PM »
i install xp first .then the linux but when booting its only appear linux no windows option.now i re install win boot loader and working with windows.i can see linux is still in my hard.but no chance to work with that.i want to use two os.can i use these two os  with a boot loader. how do i do it.?

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 08:51:41 PM »
Generally, easiest way is to install windows first and then linux & it automatically includes windows on its boot menu.
Well, other way is that you again install lilo on mbr and then add entries in /etc/lilo.conf to boot windows.