March 19, 2024, 11:31:34 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: RHL 9.0 and probs with audio card (AC 97)  (Read 18283 times)

Offline neo

• Linux Learner
    • http://www.investorsgain.com
RHL 9.0 and probs with audio card (AC 97)
« on: November 02, 2003, 03:08:29 PM »
i am having a:
1) RHL 9.0 os
2) Intel 850 chipset motherboard with onboard audio card (AC 97)
3) P4
4) Oss drivers
5) Alsa drivers

the problem faced by my card is that i cannot listen to music when i play games. playing songs in xmms is fine but no sound in games. the card only supports 48000 hz of output.
i cannot also use the text to speech engine under linux ie. Festival it gives the foll. output

if i use the arts driver ie. artsd it gives the foll message.

Linux: can't open /dev/dsp

Thank you! in advance. please help
 :?:

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2003, 04:16:56 PM »
In linux we can't play two sounds at same time.. Because in linux if you are playing a song sound server  get busy in that so if u try to play different sound then it will give the error . unable to open sound device.

Simply:: Linux Sound server can handle one request at a time.....

Offline neo

• Linux Learner
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 10:48:28 PM »
i know that man
in this case i donot play two things at a time. moreover u can play two sounds at a time if ur driver does not completely block the soundcard anyway i donot play two sounds at a time.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 09:49:48 AM »
Linux: can't open /dev/dsp

But the above is suggesting simply that ur sound server is busy in different thing.. that's y unable to open.!

Offline dalek

• LST CareTaker
  • Crescent
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 07:07:01 PM »
You may want to check and make sure your soundcard is configured properly and that you have a sound server enabled.  You can play a CD and not have the correct drivers and settings.  The CD will send the sound to the card and output it without the processor or the card doing anything.

Example,  My system would not play a computer sound at all in Mandrake 9.2.  It would play a CD just fine.  The driver was bad in 9.2.  I have switched back to 9.1 and it works fine playing a CD and computer generated sounds.

If you have the right software, drivers and mixer set up, you can play a lot of sounds at once.  I have with aRts sound server listened to a CD, play Pysol and get a 'new mail' signal from Kmail.  

Sorry I don't use Redhat so I am not sure how to set it up properly.  I would go to www.google.com/linux and put in the model of your card and Redhat and see what it finds.  I am sure someone has ran into the same problem before.  Redhat has been around long enough the there has to be a solution.

Post back if you still need help.  I'll try to find something.

Later

:D  :D  :D

Offline neo

• Linux Learner
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2003, 09:53:07 PM »
i am not talking about the cd
it plays all sounds like when i see movies. i can also play songs on xmms. but no sound on the games or in text to speech engine. my sound server is also on. any speech even on games like majesty are not played properly  they are played very very fast.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2003, 11:47:30 PM »
Neo.. i think b'cause linux uses sound server which can server to one applicatoin at a time don't work when it request more than one sound..

and about dalek & cd.. I think he is saying that if u don't have driver installed for ur soundcard then even u can play original sound Cd.

Wht other people think about linux sound server??

Offline dalek

• LST CareTaker
  • Crescent
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2003, 01:03:29 AM »
I have noticed that some don't play well with the mixer.  I can play pysol and a CD and other stuff that uses sound, but Kmail will not anounce new mail until I close Pysol, then it plays the sound.

I need to find out why this is.  I'm really not sure why it sits there and waits instead of mixing it like it should.  It may be Kmail, it may be the mixer.

Later

:D  :D  :D

Offline neo

• Linux Learner
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2003, 07:55:18 PM »
guys it is a very strange problem. i think i am unable to explain it but ill try once again

1) i donot play 2 sounds at a time so the problem of the sound server serving only one application does not arise.

2) i understand that audio cd can be played if no sound drivers are installed. This is beacause there is a direct hardware connection from the cdrom to the sound card to  play audio cds.

3) the sound card is properly installed as i can play other mp3 music and mpg movies from the hdd.

4) it does not play when i play games like TUX, majesty etc.. it even does not play when i use festival (linux text to speech engine). if it does play it plays very very fast as ft it is on a high speed dubbing on an audio cassette.

i think there is some other probs. please help.

Offline Hacker

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2003, 04:17:44 AM »
Well I am not a tech pro but have got one question to ask. Have you checked in the game options to see if the sound is muted by default????

Offline neo

• Linux Learner
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2003, 01:01:19 PM »
its not muted.......

Offline Kryz

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2004, 03:54:41 PM »
It's similar for me. I can play audio, and then I can't. :-) It seems that sometimes resources aren't made available after closing off a program, or something like that.

Just now I played a movie with mplayer. No problem, audio works fine. Next movie: no audio (SDL: Unable to open audio: No available audio device). Next I open XMMS, play an mp3 file (no problem), start the same movie again with mplayer, and viola, audio comes up.

I use the same (onboard) audio device as neo, on an MSI motherboard.

Offline neo

• Linux Learner
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2004, 06:20:26 AM »
i have found the solution to this problem
i am using the oss drivers from the site
http://www.opensound.com/download.cgi
this will be of help

Offline sudipta_cht

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2004, 04:00:58 PM »
Hey,
 Did the file /dev/dsp exist?
 If not, try creating a soft link as
Code: [Select]
ln -sf /dev/dsp /dev/audio