April 18, 2024, 02:53:39 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: need to enable administrative rights in ubuntu 6.06lts  (Read 5085 times)

Offline taimur

• Linux Noob !
need to enable administrative rights in ubuntu 6.06lts
« on: June 10, 2007, 09:50:50 AM »
hi

i m using ubuntu 6.06 lts desktop edition i have a problem that i cannot access root files bec. i m not a administrative user i want to b administrative user so how it is poosible can u tell me...i download this version from internet..

thank you v much
waiting for your reply

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
Re: need to enable administrative rights in ubuntu 6.06lts
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 07:25:46 PM »
Well, it is advised that you do all your work using non-administrative user and only admistrative stuff should be done by using Administrative account.

In linux, "root"  is the administrative account and password is as you set during installation etc.

Offline taimur

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 01:13:48 PM »
when i install ubuntu it did not ask me for root account etc... i just have to create user and the pass and install after that there is not administrative rights and when i go to fil system and check the properties of root folder its says that they os is not owned by you....

i need to ask u one more thing that if i buy ubuntu 6.06lts desktop in that cd do they will give me with administrative rights

and did u ever use ubuntu 6.06lts

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 04:29:37 PM »
Its nothing about cd, I have not used ubuntu from long, though I installed it on a machine a month back and there was no such problem.
May be someone who is using ubuntu can guide here.

According to me, you should try looking usermanagement, there must be some GUI to do that, there see if you can create root user or can assign password.

Btw, did you try login using "root" and password which u gave during installation ?

Offline taimur

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 10:49:12 PM »
yes i try to login as root and pass wat i put it says u cannot login from this login page

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 07:19:13 PM »
I think I need to install ubuntu !!
Then only I can suggest further..