March 28, 2024, 11:49:13 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: How to install Mandrake 10.2 on SATA drive  (Read 7115 times)

Offline greatdhamaka

How to install Mandrake 10.2 on SATA drive
« on: April 28, 2007, 06:32:04 PM »
Dear friends,
Recently while installing Mandrake Linux 10.2 on my system with the following configuration :
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Processor : AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Motherboard : MSI RS482M4-ILD
RAM : 512 MB
HDD : Samsung 80GB SATA ( **BIOS configured to enable SATA as IDE )
DVD Combo : HP (IDE Configured as primary master)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The mandrake installer was unable to detect any of my disk drives and provided me with a list of disk drivers to select from. I knew my SATA driver was sil_sata which i selected and then it asked me for the kernel parameters 4 that driver!! I didn't knew what to input as the parameters to enable the drivers to work and get the OS installed!! I also tried SUSE Personal Edn 9.1 and Slackware 10.2 of which SUSE and Slackware recognized my cdrom but none of them were able to detect my hard drive. If anybody of you can please help me out to detect my SATA drive i would be gr8ly obliged to u. Pls help!!

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
Re: How to install Mandrake 10.2 on SATA drive
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
Here you can get little help about kernel stuff..
http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/KB/kernel
Basically you have to give a boot paratmeter ie. when boot screen comes .. type :
Code: [Select]
boot: noapic

Offline greatdhamaka

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
Thank you! 4 the advice. Hope it works...  :)

Offline greatdhamaka

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 06:42:50 PM »
Sorry Ricky even after following your expert advice i was not able to install Linux on my computer. I tried it with both Mandrake and SUSE but it simply did'nt work  :(

Then I tried Fedora Core 4 and to my gr8 joy it detected almost each of my hardware (except my soundcard and graphics driver) without a glitch!!   :) ;)

I then downloaded the new ALSA drivers from the web and compiled and installed them after which I got my soundcard working  :), but then after i downloaded and installed the ATI proprietary drivers for my onboard ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics card following the rules mentioned on the ATI website the driver installed ok and my display also worked fine until I rebooted and found that the display initially took a higher resolution until the login screen displayed and then after I logged in things were fine but each subsequent time I logged into KDE and GNOME I had to set the display resolution again!!  ??? Also I wanted that the display resolution should always be taken as my default one but it didnt worked also my other terminals Alt + F1 to Alt + F6 started to flicker rapidly while my X was running smoothly!! This shouldnt have happened as I installed the drivers correctly and followed every step mentioned on the ATI webpage.
After that I uninstalled the ATI driver and reverted back to the basic display Fedora was offering me which is 800 x 600 with low refresh rates :( Also I wasnt able to run movies properly from either the Totem Movie player or Mplayer, I think mainly because of the unconfigured display drivers :(

Could u please help me out in setting my display drivers correctly!!

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 06:35:08 PM »
Means that you were still not able to install those. Anyways..
You may start this question as new thread as its different from current problem.
I suggest you to manually edit :
/etc/X11/xorg.conf

There you see for "Monitor" & "Screen" section.
Things are self explantory there.