March 28, 2024, 09:56:12 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: How to use Fedora 6 on laptop with and without LAN?  (Read 4566 times)

Offline francisl

• Linux Noob !
How to use Fedora 6 on laptop with and without LAN?
« on: April 10, 2007, 01:36:37 AM »
Dear gurus,

I have installed Fedora Core 6 onto my laptop with connection to a LAN.  It seems to work fine until I disconnect the laptop from the LAN.  It, then, run 10 times slower than it is connected to the LAN.

I need to work on the laptop without LAN.  I am sure that some of you must have similar needs.  Please advise how you have resolved this problem.  Thank you very much.

Regards,
Francis

Offline gauravbajaj

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 04:37:20 AM »
This is really strange ..................
U mean to say without LAN your system runs slower ?

Is it slower at booting time or slower after booting ?

Gaurav

Offline francisl

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 12:13:30 AM »
Dear Gaurav,

The system slow right from begin to boot and after boot.

When I browse the list in Service Configuration, I found "NetworkManager" and "NetworkManagerDispatcher".  They are not started during system boot.  Their description sound like a cue to this problem.  Should I start them up during system boot?  Or they are for other purpose?

Regards,
Francis

Offline gauravbajaj

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 03:54:03 AM »
OK

Start only the necessary services on system bootup not others...........

the I think services you mentioned is not of much use....., u should disable thet services which failed during startup

commands to enable/disable services during startup
#ntsysv
or  
#setup
then choose there network services and disable these services and other services which u dont require on bootup
or
#chkconfig servicename off

U can use any commands which are mentioned above:

After that restart your computer and then see the performance

Gaurav

Offline francisl

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 08:34:05 AM »
Dear Gaurav,

The problem is I don't know these services and what are they used for, which services are required to keep my system performing my required tasks.

The following are services running after the system is started:
apcid, anacron, apmd, atd, autodf, avahi-daemon, cpuspeed, crond, cups, firstboot, gpm, haldaemon, hplip, ip6tables, iptables, irqbalance, kudzu, mcstrans, messagebus, netfs, network, nfslock, ntpd, pcscd, portmap, readahead_early, readahead_later, restorecond, rpcgssd, rpcidmapd, smartd, sshd, syslog

Please advise and explain.

Regards,
Francis

Offline gauravbajaj

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 09:31:38 AM »
Hmm............., Now i think that The problem is not wid systm services............this seems to be some other problem........

What u mean by speed........?

Use command top

First ue the command when ur computer connected to LAN and see the CPU Load........................

#top

and after that use same command  after disconnecting from LAN and compare the CPU load.................

Ricky any comments????

Offline francisl

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 03:19:32 AM »
Dear Gaurav,

I am not experienced or knowledgeable on the System Admin side.  If I ask silly questions, please don't get upset.

Question 1, what are the signs from the list of services tells that the problem is not related to system services?  Are they the minimal set of services needed by any Linux system to run?

Question 2, what should I look for with command "top"?  I have tried the command and it shows a table of processes.  The list of processes is changing constantly even I do nothing on the laptop.  Is this sound right?  The top process showing up in the list are:
Xorg, top, init

Regards,
Francis