March 29, 2024, 01:48:33 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: 'software reliability' of linux  (Read 8638 times)

Offline samkupar

• Linux Noob !
'software reliability' of linux
« on: March 18, 2004, 04:04:07 PM »
hi
i just want to ask if someone has probed into 'software reliability' of linux as an operating system.
nowhere i point towards its subjective meaning,but anything which can be measured,becomes practical(windows users are no better as they too are still in dark).

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 03:01:37 PM »
sam!
I donno.. why but I haven't understood what you want to say .. btw.. sorry..

Offline samkupar

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 03:47:45 PM »
well i have read few papers on application of software reliability models to gauge the quantitative indexes of reliability.so just had an idea of doing it for 'linux.by the way official definition is
software reliability is defined as the probability that software will not cause a system failure over a specified time under specified conditions. This probability is a function of the inputs to and use of the system, as well as the presence of latent software faults. The system inputs determine whether any latent faults will be encountered during system operation.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 08:34:28 AM »
So it means that Linux Software are more reliable than windows software ? Being opensource i think they are tested heavily by various peoples and at the same times their bugz get fixed.. Is it the reason for them to be more reliable ? :)

Offline samkupar

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 12:20:32 PM »
hi
linux is considered more reliable when we take dictionary meaning-security,no viruses and all the good things incl fixing of bugs.
but what my query is,if we have lots of linux servers,firewalls etc,does someone go into finding the reliability of linux taking into concern the intrusions(in case of firewalls) or even a simple failure...and because it is one of the most growing OS,it may help the adoption and go a long way if some quantitative figures are available.
like u said, ' its tested heaviiy by various people', so what are the results of such studies?
ofcourse 'proprietary software' should be tested but no guesses can be made,when we have patches and newer versions every second year. :?: