Linux in General > Linux Tutorials & How To's

How to connect Linux and windows with a serial cable

(1/2) > >>

Ricky:
This how to is aimed to get connected two pcs via serial cable running Linux and Windoz resp.

You need a "null modem cable" which is actually a serial cable. Now Connect both computer through this cable

Configuration

On LINUX BOX:
-------------
1. Create small chat script under /etc/ppp named connect.chat .So exact location will be /etc/ppp/connect.chat. Now put the following in this file.(This script is required as we are connecting to windoz machine.)

--- Code: ---
TIMEOUT 3600
CLIENT CLIENTSERVERc
--- End code ---

2. Create a root owned file named /etc/ppp/options.ttyS0 (Here we are assuming that u have connected your cable to port ttyS0 (COM1 port). Now made the following entry in the file /etc/ppp/options.ttyS0

--- Code: ---#/etc/ppp/options.ttyS0
lock               #It creates a lock file
noauth             #As this is with only two computer so authentication is disabled
asyncmap      0
crtscts   #Enable hardware flow control
local   #Tells the computer that this is not modem
silent   #Try for connection untill it is not connected

192.168.0.1:192.168.0.2    # Ip addresses of server/client
server:clients

115200             #Data transfer speed throught the null modem cable
connect 'chat -v -f /etc/ppp/connect.chat'
--- End code ---

The work on linux box is finished.

On Windoz machine
-----------------
 As this forum is for Linux so I m giving only some indication that how to set connect via serial cable in Windows

Prerequestic on windoz box:: In windows machine dialup networking should be already enabled.

1. We need a program called "Direct cable connection" in windoz. It can be found at Start>Programs>Accessories. If it is not there then install that from Control Panel>Add and Remove Programs.

2. Now start the program, it will give u a wizard, follow that and give access to "guest" computer and also tells that on which port you have connected ur cable (COM1 or COM2 port). When u finishes that wizard it will start connecting to linux box.

Now work is finished on windoz machine.

Last step:: Now you have to start pppd on Linux box. Start that by following.

--- Code: ---pppd /dev/ttys0
--- End code ---
Or if you want see that wht is happening when u start connection then start pppd by following.

--- Code: ---pppd /dev/ttys0 nodetach
--- End code ---

Now Finished......
you can take now full advantage of your Network,whether its internet sharing, file sharing and so on.
To check your connection use ping command.

richard:
Hi

I tried to connect my Windows PC to my Linux RedHat 8.0 ppp server, but when I'm executing these scripts I get the following error:

"pppd: unknown host: clients"

When I uncomment the "server:clients"-line I get the following on the console and in /var/logs/messages:

May 14 18:48:07 GiantDisc pppd[1011]: pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
May 14 18:48:07 GiantDisc pppd[1011]: tcsetattr: Invalid argument
May 14 18:48:07 GiantDisc pppd[1011]: Exit.

I also tried to delete the lowercase "c" at the end of CLIENTSERVER in the chat script as I thought this might be a mistake but it didn't help.

Any help appreciated

Richard

Ricky:
Plz.. correct try now.. We had a error of formatting , now reactified .. :)

arvindsony:
thanks

AaronSkido:
Thanks for all the help, I managed to get it to work with Blender, and I'll try the CamBam route next.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version