April 19, 2024, 04:36:01 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: NIC Monitoring  (Read 3633 times)

Offline OldManRiver

NIC Monitoring
« on: November 25, 2006, 08:55:53 PM »
All,

I have a Red Hat and a Gentoo server and I need to configure one to do the following:

1. Monitor two add-in NIC cards to see which signal is the fastest.

Reason:  We are on Time Warner (just switched here is Dallas from ComCast via TW takeover) and the TW signal, since the change-over is always having problems and going down.  We've had the techs out every other day for three weeks and nothing they do works.  TW goes completely off-line after 3:30 here.

A new start up company (Wrio), across the hall, has a new wireless system running at 40-80Mb (10-20 times faster than TW) but they still do not have redudancy on their system.  They are offering us a free test link and this would solve our connectivity problems, but if the Wrio connection fails, we still need to fall back to the TW link.

Just wondering if anyone out there has a solution to do this?  We will be using the third NIC (built into MB) to serve the signal to all companies in our building.

OMR

Offline LS-Admin

• Administrator
  • Linux Learner
NIC Monitoring
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 06:42:09 AM »
Do you mean that all NIC are WiFi ?

Offline OldManRiver

NIC Monitoring
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 04:21:28 PM »
All,

Another Guru (GenToo) told me to use iptraf and iproute. He said those two will do all I need.

Emerged iptraf and iproute onto the GenToo box, just trying to learn how to make them do this job! Don't have that part down yet.

Will need to do the same on the Red Hat box when finished with GenToo.

OMR

Offline OldManRiver

NIC Monitoring
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 04:26:01 PM »
Quote from: "Jaffery"
Do you mean that all NIC are WiFi ?

No Wifi

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
NIC Monitoring
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 05:33:18 AM »
so you rather need to monitor signal strenght but not to Monitor traffic on NICs which actually iptraf do.