April 16, 2024, 06:46:37 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: What meaning of cache website in Squid ?  (Read 4647 times)

Offline sothy

• Linux Learner
What meaning of cache website in Squid ?
« on: October 19, 2006, 10:16:23 AM »
Dear All

now day i have runing squid on SUSE 9.1 and use transparentcy but i have wonder about some quy said the proxy can cach the website mean when client suffing like http://www.dnsstuff.com . After that when the want to suffing again no need to surffing to out side again just surffing from squid cach website that we surffed befor .........so i have dificullt to explain my question so if you have wonder i have yahooID : sothy_3tel@yahoo.com for conttact ......thank you for your help .....................................................

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 11:11:18 AM »
Sothy,

Thats called "Cache" and its actually the main feature for people moving toward proxy server.
In this whenver you visit a page on internet it get stored in squid and next time when you revisit then instead of loading from internet its actually severed you locally ie. from cache. But it also maintains the accuracy by first checking the status of page on main server and if the page unchanged then delivered from local cache else directly from internet.
This way most of the time it saves bandwidth as well as improve your surfing experience.

I hope that answered your question.

Offline sothy

• Linux Learner
How can we save bandwidth ?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 02:23:02 PM »
Thank you so much Ricky about your full answer and now ifyou understand what i want to do ? So could you tell me the way how to do like you said that save bandwidth ? and it have some configure on squid or not or it juse the package that we need to install ...........

Thank you for your answer

Sothy

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 05:01:14 PM »
When you use squid, by default it is set to do caching so its already doing what you are asking for.

Offline sothy

• Linux Learner
Confirm about squid cach website !
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 01:38:53 AM »
unfortunately i think maybe i'm not sure about the squid so i want to ask clearly again dont be mind me ok :) . i just want to know if when we setup squid already it will cach website automatic right . so can we go to see the website that cach ornot some time like we can see the access log at /var/log/squid/access.log it will show the accesslog of client so how about the cach website can we check ornot ? Your full answer it make good knowledge.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 09:37:58 AM »
You need to configure Cache manager..

See this..
squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-9.html