March 28, 2024, 11:33:26 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Help Needed To Build a FTP  (Read 4177 times)

Offline arjun_sengupta

Help Needed To Build a FTP
« on: September 11, 2006, 03:37:41 PM »
I am a student of 4th year computer science and engineering in INDIA.
I have been given to build a FTP as my final year project. I have good idea on linux and Networking, but as this is my first project. I don't know how to go about it.
Please help.  I am also unable to find the related study materials needed.
The project given to me is as follows;-

Create a File Transfer/Receive Appication in Linux that uses normal PSTN as a medium to send and receive files. For this purpose you will need a modem connected to your PC. You also will be required to study the necessary AT commands to make the modem dial an outgoing number and accept incoming connections. [ATDT command is for dialling and ATA is for answering.] You have to create your own packet structure and implement your own error checking and retransmission.

The project must be capable of transmitting/receiving files containing any data and of any type.

The work can be extended to support simultaneous file transfer/receive.

The project will give you a chance to learn modem parameter/configuration and serial port communication.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 07:16:37 PM »
You asked that you will need to write a script or program which can handle ftp request.
or in simple you have to make a ftp program.. command line.

Secondly you need to understand how modem works.
Thirdly its about serial port thing.

For last thing you need to see "setserial" in linux and rest a self explanatory and you can find good related stuff. First deciding which scripting language to use to build the program and rest will be clear to u all on it own.

Offline gauravbajaj

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 05:20:18 AM »
Hi

U can take help from  book "UNIX Network Programming" written by  Stevens..It can help u

Gaurav

Offline dragoncity99

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 09:02:50 AM »
Wut Ricky and Gaurav mention is true, especially when u need to do socket programming in C.

From my part:

In my opinion, u should get familiar with the hands on of PPP setup using chat scripts on Linux.

Also, u need to get an external 56K modem supported by Linux, and have a good documentation with list of AT commands supported by that modem.

I used the tool called "minicom" as well to help to simulate the AT commands before deploying applications using PPP scripts.

If both of this u can get the resources, im pretty sure, ur very close to achieving your goals. I suggest u check the TLDP website for configurations and concepts.

www.tldp.org/