April 19, 2024, 06:47:38 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Not able to hear sound when playing audio cds  (Read 8688 times)

Offline christopher_1

• Linux Noob !
Not able to hear sound when playing audio cds
« on: April 20, 2006, 05:56:06 AM »
Hi,

I am using RH9, when i insert a audio cd the CD player starts automatically and it shows the track being played but i am not able to hear any sound, i tried increasing the volume bar but i could not hear anything.

I am able to hear system sounds and events, and even play movies with mplayer with sound, only with this CD player i am not getting any sound.

I have even kept the system master volume to maximum, what else could be the problem, when i am able to hear sounds using xmms,mplayer etc.

Please help me i am not able to play any audio cds.

Thanks,
Christopher.

Offline aktiwari4u

• LST CareTaker
  • Crescent
    • http://aktiwari4u.tk/
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 11:07:45 AM »
if its a new installation then check may be sound may be mute .

Offline christopher_1

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 11:47:39 AM »
Hi,

I am able to hear the sound when i use xmms to play mp3 files on my harddrive and also i am getting the sound when playing vcd using mplayer. I dont see a sound mute option in audio CD player. Which sound option did u mean?

Thanks,
Christopher.

Offline christopher_1

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 06:33:57 AM »
Hello,

I tried using xmms player to play audio cd's but still i am not able to hear any sound , it shows that the track is been played but i dont hear any sound. I seems strange because i am able to hear sound while playing mp3 files using xmms and also i am able to hear sound while video cd using mplayer.

I also tried various audio cds but with no success, and i am able to hear the sound when i play these audio cds in windows XP.

Offline gauravbajaj

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 12:26:52 PM »
Hi

It  may be possible that the needed Plugins are not installed,Just install the required XMMS plugins from

http://www.gurulabs.com/goodies/downloads.php

Gaurav

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 01:01:56 PM »
I want to through a light on another concern here that audio CDs are sometimes played directly from hardware , for that there is a wire from cdrom going to Motherboard , its specially for that hardware level audio playing. May be xmms is trying to play it that way but that wire is not there as most of the time its not connected as hardware vendor find it useless.
There might be some option (I am not aware about it) to force linux to play all type of cds by software rendering.