Linux in General > Os Talk

Why linux?

<< < (2/4) > >>

catchercradle:
Interesting, Newer distros like mandrake 9.x are easier to set up than any of the current M$ offerings. - Just one reboot @ the end. All my hardware recognised and supported first time - no need to use manufacturers driver disks. Most importantly secure if set up well! Many distros do not set themselves up very securely as default. At the very least set up a firewall. Also get a virus scanner! If more of us including corporates turn to linux more viruses will be written to exploit security issues in linux. - The one problem with open source code is that the virus writers have a head start compared with those writing for doze.
If we all make our systems as secure as possible though the virus writers will stick to Doze because it just has more holes in it. (broken windoze)

luvr:

--- Quote from: "catchercradle" ---If more of us including corporates turn to linux more viruses will be written to exploit security issues in linux.
--- End quote ---
I absolutely agree - This is something that many Linux advocates apparently do not want to be told. One of the reasons why virus writers prefer targetting Windows, is that it is so widespread (and, of course, the virtually nonexistent security in Windows makes it ever so much more attractive, because it greatly helps virusses spread).
In fact, the virus writer known as "Gigabyte" claims to have written a virus in Tcl - one of the typical scripting languages in use under Linux. Don't know how much of a virus is really is, but she publishes the code on her website (http://coderz.net/gigabyte), so your can check for yourself - at least if you know enough of Tcl to understand the code.
So, don't fool yourself: As Linux popularity grows, writing virusses for it will become more and more attractive. And, if Linux really turns out to be so secure as it is touted to be, then there will inevitably be those virus writers for whom circumventing the security is just that much greater a challenge.

anti_microsoft:
Yes you are right the more it gets used the more virus that will be writted for it. The thing is that linux is more complex then windows. In windows a virus is pretty easy to make execute, but in linux its not that easy. A normal user would not be able to install a virus that would effect the whole system and even to execute a virus in linux one would have to install it and go throught the steps. The only person that would be able to install the virus to have system wide access is root and we all know to run as root is pretty dumb to begin with. The only way I could see a virus working is to inbed it somehow in a program but even then I don't believe we would see the effect it has on windows, ie the blaster worm or something would not get that big with linux if it even got slightly off the ground.

Deepthi:
what structure of linux makes it difficult for virus creators to create one for linux?

while windows is not open source.........should it be not difficult for a person to write a virus for windows than linux as linux is open source...............giving us idea of how we can actually create a virus............

i hope i have made it clear......

dalek:
Linux is more secure from the start.  If you don't run as root, the chance of a person getting in and causing your system harm is pretty small.  If you run a website, make sure you have a strong password.  A good password looks something like this:  Q7a2W$@21iKn60H25=  That is a good password.  No dictonary word and it uses a lot of random stuff.  The chances of someone breaking that is pretty small.  Can always make it longer too.  There are ways to insure that it can't be automated.  Timeouts after a try, disabled after a certain number of tries, etc.

I'm not going to say that it can not be done, but if configured correctly, it is very difficult.

Usually if Linux is broke in on it only affects the user that is infected.  Delete that user and the directory, then add them back.  All done.

Make sense?

:D  :D  :D  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version