Network Troublshooting > General Networking Support in Linux

dhcpd, squid, iptables and outlook express

<< < (2/2)

kenchix1:
first, I added the DNS of our ISP in the dhcpd.conf

--- Quote ---option domain-name-servers 192.168.100.1, aaa.bbb.ccc.eee, aaa.bbb.ccc.eef

--- End quote ---

still, i can't browse and can't retrieve email.

then I replace (dhcpd.conf) the router from 192.168.100.1 to 192.168.100.5 (the computer with two network cards, from which one of those cards goes out to the internet).

then after that, i can retrieve and send email and surf the internet without specifying any proxy server in the browser, and definitely I am very happy! :)

Thank you very much sir!!! :D :D  :D :D

now, with this kind of setup, a few problem will arise, my problems are :
1) all users can connect to the internet whenever they want
2) I don't really know what'll be the effect to our network if I assign the 192.168.100.5 as the router
3) I don't know what'll be the effect to our network if I add the DNS server of the ISP.
4) can I use hostname in acl ? like acl src kenchix1.domain1/24 so i'll just put the hostname of the user instead of the ip address ?
5) Im all mixed up on how i can block unauthorized users of the internet in our network.

Thank you very much sir for your help. :D :D :D

Ricky:
Well first is that given is right copy paste from ur dhcpd configuaration file ?

--- Code: ---option domain-name-servers 192.168.100.1, aaa.bbb.ccc.eee, aaa.bbb.ccc.eef
--- End code ---
b'cause it has no ";" in the end so dhcdp server shoudl be giving error .. may that's y it don't work on ur fist server but when u set it on second put the right pattern.

Ok.. secondly use squid .. and see other thread about squid here.. u can restrict users at time basis , usage basis. and also use a good iptable firewall on your cmputer which is connected to ISP.
Lastly if u are having cache name server on ur lan then u can specify it as primary nameserver and secondry as ur ISPs.. having nameserver locally will increase the performance of internet on LAN.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version