Linux Software > Linux Installation Support

Need a little help with a dual boot

(1/2) > >>

eyelevel:
I have 2 hard drives. One use to have winxp on it(primary one), the other had redhat 9 on it(slave hd).  I recently had to reformat and reinstall winxp on the primary hd.  So it erased my boot loader, grub.  Now I cant boot into linux.  I want to get rid of redhat and install suse 9 in its place, since im learning suse at school.  What will I need to do? Can I just place the suse install disk in, reboot and install on the partition redhat was on?  This wont cause any trouble with windows will it?

Ricky:
Well. if you want to get back your RH to boot then you Have to boot your maching with your RH installation cd and then RUN "linux rescue" and there give
--- Code: ---grub-install /dev/hdb
--- End code ---
But as u said you want to use Suse.. then simply start installing and install it over the previous RH partition. and it won't hurt your windowss...

neo:
i think ricky the bootloader was on the primary hdd so what he should do is

--- Code: ---grub-install /dev/hda

--- End code ---

Ricky:
Oh..
This time i got a mistake..
Thank you! Rohit..

eyelevel:
I put the suse install cd in and rebooted to cdrom and installed suse(disk1 anyways) over redhat's partition. After completing disk1 it reboots, I choose boot from hard disk.  It then is suppose to load grub but all I get is a black screen with grub in white letters in the upper left corner.  I cant boot windows or suse or redhat as of now. What should I do? Im freaking out man!

Also I installed grub to hda and installed suse to hdb6.  Windows is on hda.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version