April 20, 2024, 01:02:50 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: I Need Help With Fedora Core 5  (Read 4211 times)

Offline Serdal

I Need Help With Fedora Core 5
« on: May 20, 2006, 04:21:27 PM »
Hello, I am Serdal. I had been using windows since 2000 and it is time for me to immigrate to this great system, Linux. I had heard about Linux mid 90's but unfortunately I never had opportunity nor time to experience and enjoy this unique OS. Nowadays I began searching for a good alternative which is stable, rich, and free of viruses which is my biggest problem. All of my searches leaded me to Linux. Then I decided to start using this nice system.

I used Mandrake Linux 10.1 ,  Ubuntu  Linux 5.10,   and now I have installed Fedora Core 5 to my PC. I liked and found Fedora Core 5 easier than others. I would like to mention to you about my system: PC,   AMD Sempron (tm) 2800,   2 GHz CPU,   736 MB SD-RAM Memory,   LG  DVD+RW,   LG  CD-RW,   Floppy Drive,   80 GB Hard Drive,   Lexmark X1150 All-in-one printer/scanner/copier.

These are the difficulties I am experiencing with Linux:
1- I download Yahoo messenger (I choose Red Hat 9???) and then I can not install/run it.
2- I download Hotmail messenger and I can not install/run it.
3- I can not run any of my softwares from CD.
4- I can not print anything.
5- I can not view my floppy disk.
6- I can not view my memory stick. (Excalibur – 64 MB)
7- I can not watch nor back-up (copy) my DVD movies. I have not tried VCD yet.
8- I tried to play an avi movie but the message said “ Totem could not play file '.....' “ One time, it said “You don't have decoder to handle this”. Then I continued with some other avi movies and it played two of them, but there was sound only but not picture.
9- I tried to play an mp3 song but the message said “The player does not have the capabilities to play back this content”. If I am not mistaken, this is Helix player.
10- I double clicking on my softwares' icons (such as one click dvd copier etc...) but a message pops up and says “Couldn't display “/media/...../...../1click dvd copy 2 3.exe”.

Unfortunately I know NOTHING about the terms and words those are used in Linux, and i am not quite familiar and new to this system. I don't even know how to start the system in root mode.

I will be grateful if you could help me about the troubles mentioned above that I have been experienceing.  Thanks in advance, have a great weekend.

Serdal
Vancouver          

Offline gauravbajaj

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
I Need Help With Fedora Core 5
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 05:16:10 AM »
Actually Windows and Linux have a lot of differences...

I will give u the hints for the question u asked.., i recmmend you go 4 good tutorials

1. Download yahoo rpm package for fedora and install it using
rpm -ivh package-name
2.Same as above ( for hotmail use hotmail package)

or linux have inbuild messenger called gaim..u can use that also ..it is a multipurpose messenger means u can use the same for uyahoo and hotmail

3. U can install the softwares if its for linux ..means only linux softwares u can run , for that also if its a rpm package u have to install its rpm ..if tar then the methord is somewhat different

4. For printing u have to install the printer , use printtool vommand from XWindows or printconf from commad line

5. You can use the floppy disc by mounting it ,,....search for "how to mounting the floppy in linux"

6. Again to view memory stick u have to mount it ..like
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash

7. To watch movies u can try mplayer .., and  for audio or mp3 cd's use xmms and download its plugins from http://gurulabs.com

Rest I can't explain all the things  here...
, Go for good tutorials or search google for that

Gaurav

Offline Serdal

Thank You Gurav
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 07:15:10 PM »
Hello Gurav,

Thanks a lot for the valuable information you provided for me. I really appreciated your taking precious time. I am at work now, and i will try it at home once I am off work.

I would like to thank you once more for your valuable efforts to enlighten me. I will let you know about the results.

Have a great day.

Serdal