March 28, 2024, 10:45:00 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: wifi detected in mepis but not working  (Read 5368 times)

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
wifi detected in mepis but not working
« on: May 13, 2006, 09:48:55 PM »
Lately I have Wifi network working at my place. The slackware I am running was not able to detect it so I was thinking to give sometime and get it working in linux also.
But before that I looked for Mepis, liveCD, i looked into to check if my Wifi get worked in it. Well, it was detected and through Mepis control center I configured the IPs, DNS, gateway and after giving "ifup wlan0" , it was up and was visible in "ifconfig"

But there was no connectivity, it was not able to ping any other computer on Wifi, my current internet is also from WiFi so i have to boot windows to post this message.

So where is fault? any suggestion?

Offline dragoncity99

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 12:58:46 PM »
Did u managed to authenticate successfully for the SSID and encryption type part?

Does ur Wireless Router/Switch manage to detect your Wireless Network Adapter's (WNA) MAC address ?

Does the MAC address of your WNA added to the Wireless MAC filter as ALLOWED to surf the net list?

Bro Ricky, may i ask wat's ur WNA card model and what does the module was loaded for that device to work?

Cheers,
Dragon

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 05:00:48 PM »
I think everything is alright because I can use that WiFi when I am logged in via windows.

There is no encryption in this network, rather they have filtering enable (firewall) and only permitted mac can join the WLAN.

The card is Netgear WG311v2 11g.

Offline dragoncity99

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 02:17:52 AM »
That's weird bro, mebbe we missed out something there. Shall we have a checklist to find out what's missing?

1. Config file
2. Lsmod
3. Ifconfig
4. Routing
5. Dmesg to see if any errors
Wat else??? hmmm...