March 29, 2024, 06:38:03 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Problem to setup network between SuSE 8.2 and Win98  (Read 6786 times)

Offline frank-01

Problem to setup network between SuSE 8.2 and Win98
« on: November 04, 2003, 08:52:46 PM »
I have install SuSE 8.2 a few days ago because i was tired of the instability of win 2000.

i want to connect my other computer running win98 to this computer via a hub running SuSE 8.2. so that i can file transfer from my linux to my win98. otherwise i have to use CD to do the job. "too much time consuming and i am thinking of upgrading my win98 computer to linux but before i do that i want to make sure that i can network between computers for in our office i have 3 computer. One dedicated to Internet and 2 for working.

The Ethernet card in working for i can access the Internet in DSL mode.
 I have tried by reading around to install LISA and Samba, but i am not getting very far.

in "Control Center -> Internet & Network -> Local Network Browsing" using the LISa Daemon tab there is a button "Suggest Setting" when i press on it, it gives me "No network interface cards found."

I have seen a lot of tips and suggestion using command configuration. Is there a way to do it using the GUI. If not i need every step to be explain in detail. I usually setup my win98 and win2000 computer with ease but with linux i find that the support is laking.

Is Lisa and Samba the only way to do the job?

Can anyone help me?

Thank you in advance.

Frank

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
Problem to setup network between SuSE 8.2 and Win98
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 09:34:41 PM »
firstly ... r u able to ping each other?
set ip address of one machine 192.168.1.1 and other 192.168.1.2 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0
This is to make sure u r using right networking.

next u have to enable networking using samba..

That's a different story.. But samba is best to linux/windows netwoking .
To enable samba.. u have to configure samba configuration file and few more setting..

try samba urself and post the prob here.. if u get stucked anywhere..

We will see that..