March 28, 2024, 04:02:54 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Cache to RAM only?  (Read 6010 times)

Offline adex

Cache to RAM only?
« on: May 04, 2006, 06:25:27 PM »
I have installed Squid on an Itanium server loaded with Suse. I hope to have this server function as a proxy (squid) and Internet filter (dasguardian). These will be the only two functions of the server. Is it possible to have squid ONLY store cache in RAM (the server has 24GB of RAM)? Would this optimize my cache? Thanks!

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
Cache to RAM only?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 06:56:42 PM »
Oh man.. 25 GB RAM ..
anyways..

its simple
look for cache_mem directive and increase it to 22 GB or so

Offline adex

Cache to RAM only?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 11:51:34 AM »
I have set squid to use 22GB of RAM, but it is still at the default (100MB) disk cache size. How does object replacement work within RAM? That is, there are several directives that influence object replacement for disk cache, but how do they influence the RAM cache? If I set the disk cache size to 0MB, how would that influence object replacement?

Thanks, and Sorry for so many questions!

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
Cache to RAM only?
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 04:50:38 PM »
Actually you also need to increase disk cache size so that whenever computer is restarted, it can reuse old cache.

I am not pretty sure about but squid stores most frequently used cache objects in RAM. Now if your RAM is super big then it will store everything in RAM as it has plenty of space.

Yes there is cache replecement policies instead. See squid.conf.default for more details about cache replacement policies.