March 29, 2024, 05:19:27 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: For got root passwd in SUSE 9.1 ?  (Read 4203 times)

Offline sothy

• Linux Learner
For got root passwd in SUSE 9.1 ?
« on: April 29, 2006, 04:50:31 AM »
Dear all

if my fault that i forgot my root passwd for loging to my server SUSE 9.1 . so could you pleased tell me the way for soul this problem how to creat new password for root again and how to loging to Single Mode for chang passwd root ...............

Regard

Sothy

Offline dalek

• LST CareTaker
  • Crescent
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 05:30:08 AM »
I don't use SUSE but I googled and found this:

Grub:
1. At boot, select the Linux distribution you want to boot into. When your selection is highlighted, hit the "e" key to edit the boot commands.
2. Scroll down to the kernel command and type "e" to edit it. Go to the end of that line and type the word "single" (no quotes).
3. Continue the boot. Instead of getting the GUI and X Window System windows manager, you'll get a simple little prompt that gives you full access to the system, including changing passwords.

Lilo: just type "linux single" (without the quotes) at the LILO command prompt; you'll go into single-user mode.

From here on you can login to ur root account which i think will probably work and here just change you're root password with : "passwd root" (without quotes).
Change ur root pw. And reboot to ur GUI. Try using "init 5" or "kde" if this doesn't work just user "shutdown -r now" (all without quotes). Let it boot and see what happens. From my experience you should now be able to login again with root account and from the rootaccount change the normal user accounts.

Hope that helps.

:D :D :D :D

Offline gauravbajaj

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 07:36:49 AM »
from boot menu :

Go to linux rescue mode.....

It will not ask for the passwd of root there

just give
#passwd

and give new passwd to root

Gaurav

Offline sothy

• Linux Learner
For got root password on SUSE 9.1 ?
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 02:58:53 PM »
Dear All

Thank you so much for your reply back but any where i had don by used CD1 for boot and go to Rescue alredy but when i used command :

Rescue:/#passwd ( this for chang root passwd)

and then it show message error that :

passwd:User not known to the underlying authentication module

so the way that you tall me i had done but it not successfull , Did you have any idea or tell me that i do it wrong or right ........

Regard
Sothy

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 01:10:21 PM »
I donno if this will help but you might want to see ---> http://www.linuxsolved.com/forums/ftopic1319.html

Offline sothy

• Linux Learner
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 04:47:15 AM »
Dear Ricky

It realy diffrent about SUSE and Redhat .. befor time i have done and working with Redhat when we forgot password we work and chang by your information it working fine but SUSE is different it doesn't have some word like Redhat ....so did you have some thing to tell about SUSE or not..

Regard

sothy

Offline gauravbajaj

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 10:30:47 AM »
The way i told u to change password of SUSE was absolutly Right..but i dont know why its giving an error,just wait for a day..., I will look on this issue

Gaurav

Offline sothy

• Linux Learner
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 01:27:44 AM »
Dear Sir

Thank you for your help to check about my problem and i had try to do by every thing that you show you for chang password by useing Disk 1 and login to but sitll can't and i will search allso if you have good information pleased tell me .

Regard
Sothy

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 03:54:42 AM »
Only a test..

Gaurav, i am able to post, may you can try now.