April 26, 2024, 10:59:45 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Problem with Boot Loader and Boot Sectors  (Read 5772 times)

Offline mohit_kakkar

Problem with Boot Loader and Boot Sectors
« on: April 04, 2006, 02:20:00 AM »
Hello,

I have had a really hard time installing FEDORA CORE 3 on my system which originally had WINDOWS XP only. Everything works but I need to get rid of some bad BOOT LOADER/MBR CODE/Or boot sector info.

The situation: 2 physical hard drives....Master has Windows XP slave has FEDORA CORE 3. Primary runs a boot loader (OSL2000). OSL2000 lets me get into both OS's no problem but I have multiple selections for each hard disk...If I select a certain selection for either hard disk I wind up with WINDOWS XP boot loader! This can be rather annoying...while trying to install FEDORA I had to get rid of an old boot loader on the second hard drive and I tried installing WINDOWS XP which I thought would erase it...bad idea...now I got the WINDOWS XP boot loader stuck somewhere on the 2 second hard drive even though I have no more WINDOWS XP on the second drive...to fix this problem...I thought I should run WINDOWX XP on the FIRST DRIVE as well.....bad idea again! Now I have the WINDOWS XP On the first drive as well....can someone tell me how to get rid of the window boot loaders? I know it is possible but I lack the technical expertise to do it....and my efforts seem to be getting me into more trouble!

Offline mohit_kakkar

Some further info
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 02:29:20 AM »
I was slightly mistaken....there is only one option for my PRIMARY PARITION which is recognized as the WINDOWS XP Partition...but it seem the first sector LOADS THE WINDOWS XP BOOT LOADER...I have to change this...

As for the secondary hard drive there are 2 options...If I selct the one recognized as MBR it loads the WINDOWS XP boot loader...

There has to be a solution to this problem!

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 03:12:26 AM »
First of all you need to read this --> Bootloader configuration in dual boot environment .
Though its not the solution of your problem but you surely get some idea that where you are actually making mistake.

Secondly... You don't need to have third party bootloader at all. Fedora's bootloader "grub" can do everything easily. Also there is nothing to do with second HDD's boot sector. The only one which is in action is Primary HDD's boot info.

So if you have messed up everything already  then simplest way is that you first install winXP on primary with default options and then install Fedora on other HDD but choose to install MBR on Primary HDD .
This way you will get Grub as main bootloader which then will give you choice to boot to linux or to winXP, on choosing winXP you will be then presented with winXP bootloader if you have any other windows installed also. But I think this way you will get what you want.

Offline mohit_kakkar

Thanks Ricky but.....
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 11:02:54 PM »
GRUB causes problems on my system so I avoided using it...GRUB is installed....during the intallation I told the installer to install it on my SECOND HARDRIVE.....It seems that there is a pointer in the second hard drives MBR to the WINDOWS XP boot loader...all I want to know is how to get rid of this pointer. I say this since any changes I made in WINDOWX XP to its boot loader is autmatically reflected when the I choose to boot from the second hard drive's MBR........

I would prefer not to reinstall anything since my system is working FINE....I just need to REBUILD the MBR of the second hard drive so it no longer points to the primary's boot loader......is there a simple command to do this or something in LINUX?

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 07:48:40 PM »
boot to linux rescue mode then ::

grub-install /dev/hdb

Offline dalek

• LST CareTaker
  • Crescent
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 06:10:44 AM »
You really need to use grub and unless you have some really old systems, it should work just fine.  I'm not a windoze person at all but I have set them up before as Ricky said and it works just fine.  If you are having trouble, post your grub.conf file.  Sometimes it is easier to set them up by hand than to use one of the GUI things.   Here is a example for grub.conf and the windoze entry:

Code: [Select]
# For booting Windows NT or Windows95
title Windows NT / Windows 95 boot menu
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader  +1
# For loading DOS if Windows NT is installed
# chainload /bootsect.dos

Keep in mind that XP is just a newer version of NT.

Hope that helps.

:D :D :D :D