April 23, 2024, 07:27:29 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Redirecting users  (Read 5002 times)

Offline ilias

• Linux Learner
Redirecting users
« on: March 21, 2006, 08:34:57 AM »
Hi all

I want to set home page for browsers thorugh squid. i.e
all the squid users should visit a web page automatically when ever they open Browsers.

Any one have tried this, tks in advance

Offline FNC

• Linux Noob !
Redirecting users
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 09:50:29 AM »
Hello i am also interseted in this topic if any body can provide help i will really appreciate it and be thankfull

Offline gauravbajaj

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
Redirecting users
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 11:04:21 AM »
Why dont u use apache for that?Just made the entries in apache ...when users will open that site..which u have made in apache.conf or httpd.conf file..they will see default page

Regards
Gaurav Bajaj

Offline ilias

• Linux Learner
Redirecting users
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 12:05:10 PM »
Hi gaurav

Apache solution will work when we open the site by giving URL on the browser, but my requirement is when the user opens browser he should automatically get the page, as we use to set the homepage in the browser.

Offline ilias

• Linux Learner
Redirecting users
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 12:05:51 PM »
Hi gaurav

Apache solution will work when we open the site by giving URL on the browser, but my requirement is when the user opens browser he should automatically get the page, as we use to set the homepage in the browser.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
Redirecting users
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 05:17:56 AM »
Ilias..

This is completely client side issue, you can set that in browser. Well, to start of you need to provide some URL then only it will work.. ie you need to tell browser to goto some specific address then only it will fetch some data to fetch.

Simply make a page in apache and set your browser to open that page everytime it starts.

Other method i can imagine is to redirect every first request from a client to a specific address.

Offline ilias

• Linux Learner
Redirecting users
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 04:09:46 AM »
That was the thing exactly i am thinking of, redirecting every first request from a client to a specific address.

But........ i have missed out on implimenation, i don't know how to put in place.

Offline aktiwari4u

• LST CareTaker
  • Crescent
    • http://aktiwari4u.tk/
Redirecting users
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 05:39:27 AM »
well i have done it in windows through applying group polices in a domain . i think there must be some short of group policy for appling it on a perticular domain for the same in linux also . i have no idea may be recky may tell u about it .