April 19, 2024, 12:14:21 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Installing Linux Patch and rebuilding the kernel  (Read 4916 times)

Offline n_karthy

• Linux Noob !
Installing Linux Patch and rebuilding the kernel
« on: March 17, 2006, 06:26:22 AM »
Hi,
I have linux kernel 2.6.9-22 installed in my PC. I wanted to install a package that required some change in the kernel configuration. So i made the changes and rebuilt the kernel using 'make'. It failed there showing some error in SCSI driver. I found in another forum that the patch 2.6.10-rc1 solves this problem. So applied the patch using 'patch ' command. After this i executed 'make' and it came out successfully. After that i did 'make modules'. But i got the following error for 'make install' :

WARNING: Couldn't open directory /lib/modules/2.6.10-rc1: No such file or directory
FATAL: Could not open /lib/modules/2.6.10-rc1/modules.dep.temp for writing: No such file or directory
/lib/modules/2.6.10-rc1 is not a directory.
mkinitrd failed
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make: *** [install] Error 2

How can i solve this problem? I just ran the 'patch' command. Should i do anything after to make the patch effective? Could that be because my kernel version is 2.6.9 and the patchis for 2.6.10-rc1? I am new to Linux world. Help me out.

Thanks
Karthik

Offline dalek

• LST CareTaker
  • Crescent
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 12:43:19 PM »
If you can use a newer kernel, you can get one here:

http://kernel.org/

It may have the fix already in there.  I have done patches but I prefer to just get one that is fixed to begin with.

That help any?

:D :D :D :D

Offline dragoncity99

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 10:27:25 AM »
U have not created the /lib/modules/2.6.10-rc1 directory, that's the reason why u have this errror.

Im afraid, u did not perform one of the steps properly, so u will end up with this problem.

Wat u can do is create a directory in /lib/modules before performing:

#make modules_install