April 25, 2024, 11:59:08 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: An isp Server  (Read 4520 times)

Offline FNC

• Linux Noob !
An isp Server
« on: March 03, 2006, 03:22:56 PM »
Hello every body,
well i am a newbie here and a newbie to the linux world. i ressel internet in my area. i have an uplink from a local isp and a downlink via satellite i am using a pent@net dvb card for this. my up isp did a routing for my downlink connection so i only is ip address no vpn or proxy for the downlink.i used to have a windows 2003 machine and isa 2004 installed on it to serve my costumers. well but now the range of our costumers gone wide about 700+ costumers.so i am thing of doing my server in a more professional way and i am thinking of using linux os.How many machines i should use for the and which linux distro is better i want to. could the same machine that i have the internet on it act as a proxy server and a dns or should i split every machine for a specific use. well any advice or link to howto or tuturials i will aprreciate it. Thanks to all in advance

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
An isp Server
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 07:03:17 PM »
700+ is a nice Number and I think you should use caching at your level.

BTW.. a decent machine (good hardware ) can still handle 700+ connections effectively. But in such case I would tried to split tast to 2 or more nodes, heavy tasks like caching would be on one node and other small task on other node. There are software available in linux like smoothwall which can do all your work without having litle knowledge of linux.
Give that a try !

Offline FNC

• Linux Noob !
An isp Server
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 10:16:04 AM »
hello ricky:
thanks for ur reply and it seems that ur the most active person in this forum.
well i would appreciate if u couls couls give me some basic setups to start up or even if u can name me some of these softwares and which distro do u think is best to use and if there is some tutorials to achieve my goal thanks in advance

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
An isp Server
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 04:36:06 AM »
if you want to do multihoming then simply assign low resourcing task to one machine (like dns , NAT) and use other machine for caching, if you find your cache is too big then distribute cache among different machine again.

I have suggested you to use "SmoothWall" u can find info about it at smoothwall.org !
First try that...
Then monitor ur system and decide that do u really need different machines or not.

Offline FNC

• Linux Noob !
An isp Server
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 08:17:47 PM »
Well after a couple of weeks i am still stuck. i have installed RHEl 4, it has squid in it but i was unable to let it work, so please if any body knows how to make it work tell me the step by step configuration, also how can i upgrade it to a newer version of the squid?? pls pl s everyone i am really in need for help cause microsoft windows 2003 + isa 2004 will let me commit a suicide. thanks in advance

Offline Okorie

• Linux Noob !
ISP bandwidth tips
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 12:54:09 PM »
Hi,
 I advice that u use caching using squid. And also share the less load on a different box ( NAT,DNS and DHCP), this will make ur service to be balanced and also with squid u can manage the bandwidth that any client can have access to, using ACL statements, but i advice u go for more effective bandwidth management solutions on linux platform.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
An isp Server
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 05:56:23 AM »
FNC ..
We have step by step squid installation and config how to . That will work on RHEL also.