April 20, 2024, 02:53:04 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: mac binding  (Read 5274 times)

Offline jitender33

• Linux Noob !
mac binding
« on: February 28, 2006, 11:30:28 AM »
hi
        can i anybody help about the mac binding with ipaddress. I am using redhat linux 9.0. I am configuring the static ipaddress. Now i want band the ipaddress. I dont want use dhcp service . plz help me

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
mac binding
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 11:31:55 AM »
What exactly you are asking.. ?
well, when you assign IP address statically to each machine then you don't have to do anything about MAC address as you are manually assigning the IP of your choice to each machine.
If you are asking that I want to allow access to server to only specific computer wich particular MAC and IP then the question is little different.

... so wht actually you are asking .. plz elaborate.

Offline jitender33

• Linux Noob !
mac binding
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 02:41:30 PM »
hi ricky
            sorry i cannot expliane to you properly. can we bind to ipaddress with the mac id through command prompt. If yes then tell me the command

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
mac binding
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 07:46:14 PM »
Its rather confusing Jintendra !

I want to make clear that u only need to bind an IP address when u want to allow / deny access to some specific mac to a server.

Like I want that a particular mac address XYZ is not allowed to access internet from my computer then we can do that.. in that way whtever IP is.. but that mac addressed computer will not be able to access the internet.

Other case is when we want to assign specific IP to a particular mac address . then we use dhcp.

Sorry.. but I just want to be little more clear .

so can you tell me wht is ur case  ?

Offline jitender33

• Linux Noob !
mac binding
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 09:28:04 AM »
Hi ricky
     as we can mac bind through dhcp server as we can mac bind without dhcp server. I am sharing the internet through squid. And i configured the static ipaddress to the client system. Now i want the band the mac id with ipaddress for allow to access the internet

Offline ilias

• Linux Learner
mac binding
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 04:42:57 AM »
Due to apply ACL based on the MAC instead of IP, is this your query on.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
mac binding
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 02:15:30 AM »
There is such option in squid but can't recall at the moment. Will find out and then will tell you.

Offline gauravbajaj

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
mac binding
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 10:12:12 AM »
Hi....

I am not getting you...What u want?
U want to bind MAC ADDRESS with IP through squid?

Regards
Gaurav Bajaj

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
mac binding
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 08:51:20 AM »
ya he is asking to allow access to only specific mac address to use internet through proxy.

In squid it is controlled by ARP based acl. I had once tried that only for testing. You will need to compile squid with arp support
Code: [Select]
./configure --enable-arp-acl
Also you can try using arp directive before compiling, may be your binary already compiled for that.

now you can simply use acl for arp as below
Code: [Select]
acl NameOfAcl arp 11:12:13:1a4:15c:1
and then deny or allow that acl.

Offline aktiwari4u

• LST CareTaker
  • Crescent
    • http://aktiwari4u.tk/
mac binding
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 04:50:59 AM »
Ip Assinment it self is process of binding a perticular mac address with a perticular ip.
now if we specify this thing through DHCP than that perticular IP address id binded with the mac address of that mechine for the specific time what ever has been configured on the server .
but if we are providing the ip address manually to that client than its clear meaning is that the perticular ip address is being binded with the mac address of that interface for the time period untill we do not change the ip address so if u want the a mechine should use the network or in other words " a perticular MAC addess could use a specific ip in the network then this can only be done by blocking the permission for users to change their ip address " and this condition can be forcefully be applied thrugh access lists at the server end and this should be done at gateway level it self .
where it will cross verify wather that perticula interface which has a specific mac adderess is using a specific ip or not if condition meets then only the gatway will forword the request other wise it will discurt it.
so to impliment this u need two things
1- at client level user should not be able to change the ip address
2- at gatway level some access list should be applied.