March 19, 2024, 05:00:31 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Problems with sending outgoing mail on sendmail  (Read 13445 times)

Offline johntaylor

• Linux Noob !
Problems with sending outgoing mail on sendmail
« on: January 18, 2004, 02:01:41 AM »
Hi,
I decided to use my RedHat 9 web server as an email server as well. I set up sendmail, outgoing mail worked ok but incoming would not come through. I fixed that problem by looking at a tutorial.

Now that incoming mail gets through and works I cannot make outgoing mail get past the mail queue. I had a look in the mail log file and found the following errors:

... unalble to write /var/run/sm-client.pid: Permission Denied
and NOQUEUE: SYSERR(UID41): can not chdir(/var/spool/mqueue/): Permission Denied. I think that is why out going mail does not work.

Can anyone help?

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2004, 10:47:52 AM »
The error message shows that u simply have permission problem. I think during following the tutorial u have messed up the permission for sendmail. Can i have link for the tutorial which u were following ?

Offline johntaylor

• Linux Noob !
Permisions problem
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 12:55:37 AM »
Hi,
This is the url of the tutorial. I will look into the permissions of the folder for you.
http://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/linux-hn/sendmail.htm

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 02:37:21 PM »
I have not worked lot with sendmail type of thing but ther error u earlier provide shows that it will not even start ie. no running so it can't even receive ..
So r u sure that sendmail is running..
use this to check..
Code: [Select]
pgrep sendmail and if it returns no some values then send mail is running if nothing.. then it is not running..
Try starting send mail after login as root..  if again it shows same error ask here..

Offline johntaylor

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 12:12:19 AM »
Sendmail is running but as you said before the permissions are wrong or something. I will keep working on it though. I do the sendmail stuff as a weekend thing or during my spare time. Thanks a lot though.

A while back now I set my brother up with RedHat 9 as well because he was always complaining about windows freezing when he was doing his school work (so was I sometimes). I could use his computer as a reference on what the permissions and original configuration is. Then I will set it back to normal and try again.

If you find anything tell me though - I hate starting from scratch even though it's probably the quickist way to fix software problems. :D

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 12:29:52 PM »
Ok.. tell me if it gets started on boot up or you start it manully after booting ?

To make sure it get started on boot , add entry in /etc/rc.d/rc.local for it.
Also try to login using root and then run it .. if it still shows same error then u r not having simply permission problem...

Offline johntaylor

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2004, 10:56:08 PM »
It is set to automatically start on boot. It might be a problem with permissions in the mail queue.

Thanks

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2004, 08:31:15 AM »
Code: [Select]
... unalble to write /var/run/sm-client.pid: Permission Denied Tells me that it has no permission to write PID .. and it can only write their during boot or if you run it after login as su or root..
Offcourse the other error is about queue...

Offline johntaylor

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2004, 02:15:19 AM »
Hi Again,
I fixed one problem. I had everything working for a while and then when I rebooted the server I could not recieve incoming mail. I suspect the error is the following:

Feb  2 13:05:01 fsd002 sendmail[3953]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(UID41): /etc/mail/submit.cf: line 421: readcf: option RunAsUser: unknown user smmsp: Permission denied
Feb  2 13:05:01 fsd002 sendmail[3953]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(UID41): /etc/mail/submit.cf: line 440: readcf: option TrustedUser: unknown user smmsp: Permission denied
Feb  2 13:05:01 fsd002 sendmail[3953]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(UID41): can not chdir(/var/spool/clientmqueue/): Permission denied

Thanks,