March 28, 2024, 09:14:07 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Networking file-sharing problem. Cross Os's  (Read 3623 times)

Offline mel

• Linux Noob !
Networking file-sharing problem. Cross Os's
« on: October 02, 2005, 10:22:45 AM »
Ok, first of all, i know having an M$ windows OS networked with linux sucks. but my boss prefers it that way, so it's up to me to figure things out. :roll: ...... on the linux noob scale of 1-10, with ten being closest to "experienced", i'd say im at 5. :oops:

here's the setup:

one PC acting as server runs on winxp pro. it has an internet connection and shares it to 5 client PC's running on red hat enterprise linux ws 4. all the OS's work fine and so does the net connection. also, one HP deskjet 3745 is hooked to the server.

major prob's:

- i can't get them to share files. this is very important since the printer is at the server and files made at the client PC's are usually edited by the one running the server prior to printing. so the question is, how do i make a folder in each PC that is accessible by every other PC?

- when i try to add a printer queue, the printer can't be detected  using samba. same with cups. possibly a conflict? the network seems to be fine since the client PC's have access to the internet thru the server. but why can't it detect the printer?

minor prob's:

- i can't get Yahoo Messenger to work with wine. i installed the unix version but after rebooting it says segment error. i know this has been discussed here before. i already tried erasing the .ymessenger folder and the rpm package and it works fine until the next reboot. now i don't want to erase the folder at every boot, so is there any other workaround?

- yet another YM prob. i've been bugged a lot around here re webcam and voice chat features of YM. i know it's supposed to work under wine but after installing the exe format, i can't get it to work with wine. specifically, i don't know where to look for the main executable file that's supposed to be run in wine. :oops:

damn! i hate being a noob! :roll:  but one's gotta start somewhere right? :D i've been troubleshooting M$ OS's for the past 8 years so linux has really been a major problem to me right now......not to mention a major blow to the ego, lol.

thanks in advance for any help. and rest assured, though linux is making me feel woozy right now, im starting to appreciate it's power. :D

Offline mel

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 10:31:30 AM »
stupid me! i searched a bit here and fopund shani's networking prob. *toink* sorry ricky, i know i should've searched more but i was getting abit panickly and my eyes are watering from reading too many posts....

anyway, i'll try the samba config file right now....keeping my fingers crossed.... after typing of course....:D :roll:

Offline mel

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 05:06:50 AM »
This is reeally getting frustrating! i know given time i could solve this on my own but the nagging i get here is getting on my nerves. :x

i got the linux box to detect the M$ network....it found the workgroup and the computer name but when i open it, it says i don't have permission to do so......i tweaked around but now even the M$ box can't detect the client PC's!

i know this is kinda demanding of me, but please understand the s**tty time pressure im under here......i know it's all in the samba config but whenever i reread the docs and tuts it all gets blurred and my brain feels like it's turning to mush.... :cry:  :cry:

so please, please, could any one provide me with a steby step guide to solve the problem stated in the first post?

i really appreciate any help given....thanks in advance.... :)