March 28, 2024, 05:33:46 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: how to install PCQ Linux 2004  (Read 8523 times)

Offline esumitkumar

• Linux Noob !
how to install PCQ Linux 2004
« on: March 29, 2004, 04:54:59 AM »
Hi
SMS (Save My Soul)
Can anyone help me and tell me step by step procedure how to partition ur drive without partition magic !!! and if possible with partition magic too.

I have windows 98 SE installed I have recently bought PCQ Linux 2004
magazine with 4 cds worth 125 bucks. I have got this partition scheme

C: 11.1 GB D,E,F -- 18.9 GB each and G:8.21 GB

I deleted my last partition (8.2 GB) to create space for linux. But here comes the problem firstly PCQ Linux 2004 says that unallocated space warning: there is no free space available ! WHAT THE HELL ???I delete a partition of windows to create space and the tux says " No free space available" GRRRRR..... Then I thought of installing pcqlinux 7.1 and upgrading to 2004 But here the problem comes partition > 1024 cylindres install aborted . i also try to make /boot partition 1MB or 20 or 50 or 100 MB but each time it says " Boot  partition too big ".Also PCQ Linux CD 1 says rpm -4.2.1 -0.30 can't be opened from cd : corrupt media

Im completely frustated now even after spending 7-8 hours im not able to install PCQ Linux 2004
1.Plz tell is there any better way of partitioning?
2.Plz suggest a scheme how to partition  drive G:8.21 GB and how  uch space shud be allcated to swap , linux ext2 etc .

Plz help help help !!!
thanks
Sumit :-(

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 05:46:18 AM »
Man , this happens when you are new. But when you install PCQ linux 04, it has a built in partition utility which is used during installation (Disk druid) easy to use.. When you have 8 GB G portion then u only need to empty that partition so that ur data in that don't get lost. Then during install usind disk druid you have to delete that and then create new partition from that free space.. ( you are getting no free space error bcos windoz partition is still there.. ) so delete ur last partition during install and then create around 300 MB of space and allot all other remaining space to "/" root partition the linux will be install easily.
You have bad cds so u r getting that "bad media" error. BTw.. b'fore installing do media check of all 3 cds.
Lastly u don't need to install 7.1 b'fore.. you can install taht directly.. ie. 2004
Make sure u choose Grub as bootloader during install. then there should be no problem about cylinder ..
Hope u got the answer..

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 05:51:04 AM »
BTW.. you have asked the question in wrong forum.. so it should be moved.. :) Ask it in Distro specific forum..

Offline asit

how to mount the nard drive in pcq linux 2005
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 07:04:33 AM »
Quote from: "Ricky"
BTW.. you have asked the question in wrong forum.. so it should be moved.. :) Ask it in Distro specific forum..

please tell me about how to mount the hard partion in pcq linux 2005. how i can play mp3 in it

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 08:16:46 PM »
asit..
I have not yet used the pcqlinux 2005 but I think you should look out properly as in PCQLinux2004 the partition of windows were automatically mounted under /mnt/ , also it was capable of playing mp3 .

You can download xmms from xmms.org and install its rpm then come back here.