April 16, 2024, 09:23:43 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: NTFS Resizeing  (Read 3768 times)

Offline cheetahman

• Tux Awared
NTFS Resizeing
« on: September 01, 2005, 01:17:05 AM »
Here are the 4 Partitions in my computer which is the max it can handle I want to make It Triboot and If I Resize NTFS using QTParted will it be Unformated Space or NTFS also I am using Ntfsprogs by the way

If I don't delete Swap and Extended then I restart Xp will Xp format it as NTFS or will it go over the limit and will it stay unformated.

Fat32
NTFS
Swap
Extended

Here is the tutorial I am useing

How to Triboot a Computer with Windows XP,Fedora Core and SuSE

Things to do Before You Start

Backup Computer
                                     Run Defraging tools
                                     Scan for Spyware
                                     Scan for Viruses

Code: [Select]
Download A Copy of Slax

That last one is very important because this is what we are going to use to Triboot.

Here is the site you can get it from http://slax.linux-live.org/download.php the one we need is the basic one.

Additional software for SLAX is provided in the form of compressed modules. The usage is very simple, just add your downloaded module to /modules/ directory on the CD to include it in SLAX permanently, or use "uselivemod" command in SLAX to activate the module on the fly, while running SLAX.

Download these modules and follow the instructions above

Ntfsprogs-http://slax.linux-live.org/modules.php?id=284
QTParted-http://slax.linux-live.org/modules.php?id=298

Step 1:Bootup the Custom Slax Cd you have made make sure the computer can bootup the cd first before the hardrive this can be changed in the bios of the computer

Step 2:Once you have logged into Slax you must now Unmount all partitions by going into My Computer and you will se all of the drives you must now right click one it will give you an option to unmount it

You must do this for all of the drives or else the computer can't be partitioned

Step 3:Click on the kde logo then go to run applacation and Type qtparted in it lowercase is find

Step 4:QTparted starts up you must now select which program you want QTParted to use for resizing ntfs you choose ntfsprogs

Step 5:Now we begin the process of resizeing the hard drive

1.Select the /dev/hda for IDE or /dev/sda for a SCSI drive on the left, then you should see its info on the right

2.Select the single existing partition, right-click on it, then select Resize.

3.Next you'll see the Resize Partition dialog.

4.Enter the size you want for your existing Windows XP partition and click OK. This can be done in Gigabytes or Megabytes

5.After clicking OK you'll see an updated view of your partitions. Note that nothing has actually changed yet; you must select the File--Commit menu item to apply the changes.

6.Just click Yes on the confirmation dialog.

7.You'll see the progress dialog and when it's done click the OK button

8.Select the File--Quit menu item to exit QTParted

9.You should then boot into Windows XP it will then detect the partition that you have made.

Step 6:Delete the Swap in QTParted by clicking on the swap partition and select delete.

Step 7:Delete Fedora Core by going to QTParted and right clicking on the Fedora Core partition and selecting delete.

Now you should have Windows and a bunch of free space.

Step 8:Out of the free space create 2 partitions.

Both Should be Unformatted

1 Partition for SuSE
1 Partiition for Fedora Core

Unformatted means that no file system is currently on it.A file system is on it whenever you install an Operating System to it.

Some examples of filesystems include

Windows
NTFS
FAT32

Linux
EXT2
EXT3
Resiser

Step 9:Now Install Fedora Core by Booting the install cd as if you were going to boot Slax

Step 10:Make sure it doesn't put swap in the partition for Suse-In the Automatic partitioning scheme, FC might put the swap partition on the partition where you had planned to put Suse.It probably won't by default-It should not even look at the partition that you have planned for Suse.

By default, it should make a swap partition and a / partition out of the partition that you have set aside for FC.

It is up to you where Grub goes.

You can put it on the MBR, the root partition or don't install Grub. It doesn't matter because its going to go on the MBR which will make SuSE the Bootloader.

Install Suse 9.3 using swap already created from installing Fedora Core and putting Grub on the MBR.

Suse should make an entry in GRUB for both Windows and Fedora Core.

The computer should now be restarted I you will be shown the SuSE Grub Bootloader which contains Windows,SuSE and Fedora Core.

The computer can now Triboot Enjoy 8)

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
NTFS Resizeing
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 03:02:33 PM »
What is the question btw ?

Anyways.. the partition you are resizing will be formatted NTFS partition but the new partition created from free space after partition should be unformatted.

Offline cheetahman

• Tux Awared
NTFS Resizeing
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 06:53:56 PM »
What If I restart after resizing and leave swap and extended it