April 26, 2024, 12:41:54 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: SkyDsl connection one-way and landline connection PROBLEM!  (Read 2962 times)

Offline umic

SkyDsl connection one-way and landline connection PROBLEM!
« on: July 06, 2005, 09:58:44 PM »
The satellite company is providing internet using a proxy server and it seems that THE ONLY way I can share my connection in the network is through the use of it;s own proxy server included in the software package. I tried many other programs but they did not seem to work(BTW I can only use this connection in windows). I want to make the connection available to a linux box and NAT-it from there on.. but I do not see any way to do that.. I don;t have to use nat necessarily but I have to limit the bandwith of the clients and filter the access to ther server at least by mac and Ip address. IN conclusion I'm a small provider for my home network..but I have to take care of the connection.. I do not want all the users to share it(only the ones that share the costs as well :) ) and I want the internet from my windows box.. to reach the linux box. Please help me, I did not expect this problem when I made the contract.. and I am a little desperate right now :(.
Thanks for reading!

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
SkyDsl connection one-way and landline connection PROBLEM!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 07:22:42 AM »
so you  are saying that u can only use internet by using the software provided to you by the company ?  And they are providing software for windows machine only  ?

BTW. I don't hav any experience of satellite otherwise I could have been very specific to your answer. but I can try...

see if you are able to surf internet on windows box.. then you can easily share it to  other box.. whether its linux or windows. You can use a proxy server on windows machine or can do NAT but can be tricky on windows as you need to divert all request client to proxy.

If you are using simple proxy then ok, and hence you can share it on linux also. !

From your needs.. you should use Squid proxy ! :)
btw.. squid also have win32 version but I am not sure about its performance.

Offline umic

what is there to be done!?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 01:10:28 PM »
The software they provide besides linking the 2 connections together it does the authentification for me. So I guess I cannot use anything else .. or linux as the primary server.
My problem is that from the internet all I get is through a proxy. ON the windows server all the programs are configured with the proxy server: 127.0.0.1 and some ports. That means that the primary win server has no internet besides the proxy connection :)
My first desire is to get rid of the proxy server and turn my linux box into a gateway.. and somehow use the satellite connection also.. but for now I can;t quite imagine how.
I have configured windows as a proxy server already and I have 2 days and already I have millions of problems :(
I know that I can redirect the http requests.. but what can I do about the rest!!??!?..I have to pass most of the download traffic of any kind through the satellite but leave some programs like messenger on the landline connection. The satellite has 600ms lag.
If anybody has any idea please let me know!
(thunderbub on messsenger if anybody wants to talk to me)
PS: thanks Ricky for your reply