March 29, 2024, 08:48:52 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: XP reinstall..Linux vanished!!!Prob  (Read 5536 times)

Offline shobhit143

• Linux Noob !
XP reinstall..Linux vanished!!!Prob
« on: July 04, 2005, 11:41:15 AM »
hey,i tried a lot to serch in ur forum regarding my prob...but was unable to find it.
I have two system one in office and one at home...both have the same prob.....I have windows XP and Red Hat 9 on two diffrent partion.but every thing was working fine.Problem came when my windows XP crashed and i reinstalled it.....Yes Linux Boot loder Vanished.....how to get it back now.....at home i can reinstall Linux.....but same prob in office...i have re installed windows 2000 and red hat 9 boot loader is vanished......i dont want to reintall in office as i have fully updated the system with big downlaods from red hat website...i dont want to loose it.please help me soon.....i have to move on with my work on linux.Thank you! in advance
Shobhit

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 07:18:48 AM »
I don' t know that why you was not able to find the solution of the problem in the forum as we had answered such questions many many times.

Anyways.. first you need to take "linux installation CD No. 1 .
then boot your system with that..

Now type "linux rescue"

Now follow the steps and it will ask you to find existing installation and will mount it under or tell you to mount in under /mnt/sysimage .

so next you have to chroot /mnt/sysimage

Now type..
Code: [Select]
grub-install /dev/hda

And that will probably get back your system to normal. Ask if you face any problem..

Offline shobhit143

• Linux Noob !
I tried it a lot
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 07:25:32 AM »
Man Thank you! for the reply...but i tried it a lot....grub was installed....bur when i restarted the system....it starts the grub then suddenly start loding 2000.....i tried to up grade the installation....so when detecting the previous linux it gives this erroe---
Code: [Select]
Error enabling swap device hda9 :invalid argument
The most likely means thsi swap partition has not been initalized.press ok to rebbot your system

i tried rebooting...sam error....again

ESecondly on my home PC....now linux is booting.....but it is taking hell lot of time.....it gets hangged up at
starting send mail....
starting sclient..
then when it finally boots it doesnt detects my mouse...i ant do ne thing.....

please help Ricky.....i m feeling very helpless...

Offline shobhit143

• Linux Noob !
worse now
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 12:19:34 PM »
to make things worse...i re installed linux on my office PC.....after lot of RnD on Grub install......and to make things worse.....i have linux now but cant boot into windows 2000.....what next.......iwhen i boot...it tells me toeither wait for 10 sec...or some thing like kernal agruments....and if i dont do nething ...it boots into linux....that grub menu does not come....what to do man....this is getting to much....please help me......

Offline dragoncity99

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 01:42:11 PM »
Relax dude, ur so panic,  u can't solve by being panic.

Read the gentoo documentation, follow the steps there if u can on how to grub.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10

Secondly, if u wanna get back ur windows to boot and forget about LINUX, pop in ur windoze CD run the :
FIXMBR and FIXBOOT command and restart ur pc.

If still, u can solve it, please outline ur partition structure: please show ur following output here and the grub.conf. Identify ur kernel name as well, and i can be sure many great linux experts will help u :)

1. fdisk -l
2. uname -a
3. cat /etc/grub.conf (that's my pc, check urs )

Show all the outputs here ok? ;)

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 01:46:38 PM »
I dont understand that why things are not going normal with you..

For your home PC starting late, I think you first have to check that if there is any network link which is set to get information from dhcp.. that way usually in starting it search for dhcp server and taks lotsa time.

I think during installatin you have not chosen to install any bootloader..
Now you will have to recover win2000 bootsector.. can do using "windows recovery console" its again from win2000 installation cd. then there type fixmbr and fixboot

Now again boot from linux cd in rescue mode and then "grub-install /dev/hda"

Hope that will make things better..
BTW.. why u aer not using fedora core3 or 4 .. thats latest with more devices to support.