March 28, 2024, 10:58:24 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: about controlling the download bandwadth  (Read 4320 times)

Offline tomamodi

• Linux Learner
about controlling the download bandwadth
« on: June 09, 2005, 08:21:40 PM »
as my squid cache running
just i want to tune it and need help

here i have some clients bring there usb and download songs and softwares and it sucks
so i want to limit the download bandwith for fixed speed

just downloads
please
what i have to  do for this

2) did any way to fix the bandwadth for all clients same distrebuted equally

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 09:33:28 AM »
Well you can limit the bandwidth ie. speed limit for the particular file downloads. Say if thre is mp3 file and you want to limit its download speed to 64 kbps then you can do that.. you can do that using delay pools.. you have to study delay pools in squid to do your stuff.

ATM. I am in hurry but I will post the configuration to limit overall bandwidth limit, per client limit .. etc.

Offline lionstar

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 09:29:31 AM »
Alow all,

I just know Linux less than 1 week (Jun 28, 2005).  And I need help (or clue) on how to limit the b/w for each client.   Please make a very very simple teaching on how to make delay pools for each clients because I am very very newbie in Linux world and my technical skill is average.  Assume I already have Fedora3 and the Squid installed on it.   Using DHCP.  

My configuration router => eth0 => fedora3 (squid) => eth1 => switch => clients.

say the local Lan (DHCP) range  from 192.168.2.xx
The client already running through squid.

Is it possible to limit the b/w for each clients like this  (What is The best scenario for manage the bandwitdth according to you)  :
1.  ClientA  (for internet) limited to 9 kbps upload / download for example.  So if the user upload photos to friendster  or attachment  for example, it would't make lagging for the other user.

Or It is okay just to create delay pools, so the problem I described (upload / download that cause lagging to other user) can be minimized.  Because some user may be open many browser at once, so the b/w resource is taken by himself / herself.

2.  Other people say just using iptables to manage the b/w.  If you think this way better, how to make the scripts.   I need very clear and simple , so I can easily understand.

If using squid b/w limiter is more easy and simple,   please give a clue how to set it up.  (either delay pools  or direct limitation b/w per client.).  I need your advise / help  how to handle the b/w problem using squid  so it would cause lagging for other user.

Regards

LionStar
very very newbie linux.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 05:17:38 PM »
Welcome to the LS forums !

Well for you squid will work best, you will have to give static iP to each client and then create separate delay pool for each client. I had given this solution so many times, so I request you to seach the forum first for the solution. ! Use search at bottom or search at the top !