April 26, 2024, 05:24:35 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Incorporating Time based access to a Iptable Internet Server  (Read 3548 times)

Offline kmr

Hi  All,

i am a new member to this group. First of all, I would like to appreciate the co-operation between the techies as well as non techie guys which is reflecting throughout this entire site. really its a great WORK!!!

Now i have a problem with my internet server. I had configured my internet server with the iptables rules, and  i had put more good rules to make it more secure. Anyway i am happy with the securing part of my server.

Now i need to incorporate some method to restrict few of my users by Time based policies, say i need to allow all our receptionists just to access the internet between 2-4, like what we are doing in squid.

Here i know about one solution, that i could configure a transparent proxy and then setup the time based restrictions in that proxy configutation. But i think actually, squid being a big application, it will take more processing for my packets.  So now, i am thinking about any small programs or module like things which we could incorporate with the iptables to get this functionality.

Any response to this mail will be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,   :D

K-M-R

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
Incorporating Time based access to a Iptable Internet Server
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 04:25:59 AM »
As far as with my little LINUX experience, iptables can be used for User based restriction but not time based. If it can then do tell us the link to docs.

Ultimately, squid is ur solution.
About resource eating by squid... simply do not do caching with it and it will it very less resources.