March 28, 2024, 11:37:30 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Cannot browse internet on RedHat via XP Gateway  (Read 4634 times)

Offline dajoco

• Linux Noob !
Cannot browse internet on RedHat via XP Gateway
« on: April 24, 2005, 09:50:45 PM »
Hi,

I have an XP machine acting as a gateway for my RH9 laptop.  The two machines talk to each other, and XP connects directly to the internet via an ADSL modem.  I can get RH to ping addresses outside my LAN, but Mozilla refuses to display web pages, saying instead that the operations timed out.  I'm guessing that this problem is more to do with SP2's firewall, but I don't want to discount the possibility that I'm a shmuck and have forgotten to enable something in RH.

I've set the DNS servers in RH my ISP's - hence I can succesfully execute, say, "ping www.theonion.com" and it'll reply.  It just won't let me browse.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Davis.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 04:53:32 PM »
Here I am just giving you the things which are required to do sharing via XP b'coz the problem appears to be of DNS but you getting reply of pinging a domain!

First you have to enable ICS in windows XP for the connection which connects to internet.
Then set up your client machine to use DHCP to take ip information.

And if your client machine is successful to get ip info from dhcp of winXP then you can easily browse internet.

Oh.. btw how you have set internet connection sharing in XP b'coz if you do built in ICS of XP then it requires client to use DHCP to get info abt its ip etc.

Offline dajoco

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 06:57:10 AM »
XP's ICS has been set up as properly as I can tell.  I've also edited the registry to make sure that ServicePack2 forwards packets (for some reason it doesn't by default.  I don't know if this should even make a difference, but tried it anyway...)
All my IP addresses have been entered manually. XP, when sharing a connection, automatically sets your LAN values to 192.168.0.1 and 255.255.255.0.  My RedHat box is then manually set to 192.168.0.3; 255.255.255.0.  

XP's firewall supposedly causes big problems - so first I switched off the firewall that was specific to the LAN, then the entire firewall.  I also lowered my firewall on RH to a 'medium' standard level.

What really gets me is that I can actually ping websites, I just cant browse to them... and I can ping them using the actual URL rather than IP address, so it can't be a DNS issue.

Davis.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 09:33:42 AM »
Ok.. i told you that you need to set your client to get information using dhcp .. set your linux box to do so and then tell us.

Offline sapanda

Re: Cannot browse internet on RedHat via XP Gateway
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 03:35:48 PM »
Have u chked if other browsers in ur RH9 is browsing. Another thing you can do is just make it acquire ip address from dhcp from the xp computer and that will solve the problem.