March 28, 2024, 09:02:01 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: RH9 - XP aren't talking over LAN  (Read 4410 times)

Offline dajoco

• Linux Noob !
RH9 - XP aren't talking over LAN
« on: April 17, 2005, 03:44:43 PM »
I'm running RH9 on a Dell Latitude LS laptop, and XP on a Dell Precision workstation.  RH9 recognises and activates my 3Com network card, and I've manually set my IP address and masks to 10.0.0.5 on the pc and 10.0.0.13 on the laptop, mask: 255.0.0.0.  XP recognises that the network cable is plugged in, and it sends packets, but RH isn't getting anything.  eth0 is up (according to ifconfig) and tcpdump (don't have ethereal and can't install from cd's cos I cleverly stood on my external cd-rom!) tells me that there is no traffic coming in over the cross-over cable.
I've also dropped the firewall on RH but to no avail.
So I'm a bit confused.
thanks!

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 04:17:31 PM »
you are saying that its crossover cable !!
possibly cable fault here !
Can confirm if it is not the cable fault ?

Offline dajoco

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 04:44:12 PM »
definitely not cable as it works from the pc to another laptop (running xp)

Offline gauravbajaj

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 02:00:28 AM »
May Be You  have two network cards in Linux .. & u r chacking traffic in only one.. which has no ipaddress configure or ipaddress in other range.

or May be ur Ip-address is conflicting with other Computer having same ip address...& ur ip-address got disabled..
Check it.. may be this is ur problem
Gaurav

Offline dajoco

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 08:40:50 PM »
Well, I did have a wireless pcmcia card, so I removed that and disabled the settings.  Then redid all the IP values, but all to no avail.  They're still not talking to each other.  As far as XP is concerned, there is an active network connection, but it can't communicate.  Does anyone know of a program like tcpdump or ethereal that I can use on XP to detect packets?

Offline gauravbajaj

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 03:44:16 AM »
HI
Ya i used Ethereal & Snort .... lot of times.......
ethereal is an Network analyizer or u can say its a packet sniffer...or u can say its a DATA CAPTURING tool
means u can use ethereal on your local LAN ... but it can detact packets only in Local LAN not internat....

In LINUX it is Built in ..rpm named like this ethereal-0.9.8-6.rpm but in WIndoz u have to  download it............

tcpdump is also like this better to go for ethereal.. it will tell the ip-address of sender , ip-address of Dest., protocol...& many more
TRY IT
Enjoy
Gaurav

Offline dragoncity99

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 02:58:41 PM »
Class A, B and C  network do not talk to each other.