March 29, 2024, 05:28:10 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Fedora upgrade  (Read 5470 times)

Offline mliu

• Tux Awared
Fedora upgrade
« on: April 13, 2005, 02:54:57 AM »
Hi, there.
I am using Fedora 1. There are a lot of upgrade package from the redhat network.  Will it upgrade it into fedora v3 if I apply them? How to find out?
Many thank.

Offline dragoncity99

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
Fedora upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 05:47:27 AM »
No, it' wont upgrade to Fedora Core 3. Man, it will be sooo slow to do that, why not download Fedora Core 3 instead.

Well, if u insist on updating it, u could consider "yum". Honestly i never use it before. Coz i chosen the FC3 instead of downloading the patches.

U may also want to keep an eye on FC4.

Offline mliu

• Tux Awared
Fedora upgrade
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 12:29:48 PM »
Dear Dragoncity99:
Thanks for your info. I already have Fedora 3 cds. I just want to find out whether the redhat network will put some patches as MS doing? Or just will update some critical files?
By the way, I though YUM is just for RPM installing management, isn't it?

Offline dragoncity99

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
Fedora upgrade
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 01:44:59 PM »
Well, actually they do have patches as M$ does. Critical files? Well technically RHN does perform this task.

It's mostly something to do with their GUI integrations, X servers and driver stuffs. However, bout the kernel im not pretty sure bout it.

Im just very curious why they never release their KERNEL source...

Yes, YUM is doing that, however, when u have new RPMs, u still need to upgrade it using yum. It's a better means of doing so compared to installing and RPM independently which u will end up screw up the whole RPM database sometimes.

Offline mliu

• Tux Awared
Fedora upgrade
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 12:53:11 AM »
Dear Dragoncity99:
Thanks for your advice.
Do you guys do upgrade regularly? Or just leave as it is unless there is a total new version comes out?
I tried to install Fedora v3 however, it is even slower than v2. The beauty is that it has more support for USB and built in firefox.
Thanks in advanced.

Offline dragoncity99

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
Fedora upgrade
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 02:41:22 AM »
If there is a room for improvement, more security updates, and driver supports, yes, go for it.

Yes, i do aware of this problem, that's why i stopped using it, unless i have no choice. The are putting more and more rpms into the distro. Actually, FC3 and backward are all meant for user testing. Some sort of things like software evluation and bug posting to the developr for future improvement in RedHat Enterprise.

For organizations however, a careful consideration need to be done, testings and so on. U don't wanna mess up the oganization's day to day operation.

There is of course one common problem when getting updates which is too new sometimes, which is, some of ur old programs will not work. And u started receiving phone calls. Hahaha

Overall, for my personal use, yes, im always sitting around to wait for new releases to come out.