Linux in General > Linux Tutorials & How To's

Configuring Squid Proxy server & Transparent Proxy

<< < (2/34) > >>

lugoteehalt:
NAT

Short for Network Address Translation, NAT as specified in RFC 1631 is an Internet standard that enables a local-area network (LAN) to use one or more IP addresses for internal traffic and a second for external. A network NAT is commonly used by home users to allow multiple computers to easily connect to a broadband connection. NAT is also used to hide internet network addresses by using the single NAT address.
Today there are two different variants of NAT used. NAPT which is short for Network Address Port Translation, NAPT and PAT which is short for Port Address Translation.

Also see: Network definitions, Proxy

Proxy server

A Proxy is a computer server or software program which is part of the gateway server or another computer that separates a local network from outside networks.
A proxy server will generally cache all pages accessed through the network. When a page is accessed that is not in the proxy servers cache the proxy server will access the page using its own IP address cache the page and forward it to the user accessing that page.

Users who wish to setup a proxy at home or home office to be used to share a internet connection VIA modem or other internet connection may wish to consider any of the following products:

- Sygate Home Network
- WinProxy
- SpoonProxy
- ShareTheNet

Also see: ICS, Network definitions http://www.mrhope.com/jargon/n/nat.htm

Ricky:
I think we here we have now a good explanation. It is now a good tutorial..  :)

vasu:
hi

everyone i configured  redhat linux9.0 squid it is workiing fine after i add iptables squid is show running but cilent system net acces is not comming.

vasu:
hi

i have  in redhat linux 9.0.i configured two lan cards eth0 directly conneted internet eth1 is private ip,s with i configured linux with  nat so i want now some private ips given some restrication how to it. this is my right now is using script.

and i want manging bandwidth controlle software in linux u have any free software is there please given website link

i#/bin/sh
service ipchains stop
/sbin/rmmod  ipchains
/sbin/insmod ip_tables
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

/sbin/iptables --flush
/sbin/iptables --table nat --flush
/sbin/iptables --delete-chain
/sbin/iptables --table nat --delete-chain

/sbin/iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING -s 192.168.1.2  -j MASQUERADE

Ricky:
What do want to do ? Simple internet sharing or Proxy or Transparent proxy ?
I can tell you how to block specific ip address but you have to tell me that wht do you want to use .. Iptable or squid ??
You can also have bandwidth management using squid on the per user basis by using delay pools..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version