March 28, 2024, 08:56:38 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: GUI software installation  (Read 4782 times)

Offline mliu

• Tux Awared
GUI software installation
« on: April 04, 2005, 10:17:30 AM »
Hi, there.
I am using Fedora core 2. Under GUI I want to install realplayer. So I double clicked the software and keyed in root password. However, after the installation there is no extra icon in the menu or on the desktop.
1) Can anybody tell me how to trace up the installation steps? Is there a particular path like MS windows/program Files?
2) I have some java source codes under windows partition. However, my /etc/fstab are edited like "/dev/hda5 /mnt/WinC vfat defaults 0 0". So all the windows partition are owned by root and I can not edit those codes. Is there a command I can change the whole partition into mine? If not, can I use chmod to change that directory into mine? If I copy the whole directory into my home directory, will that change into my files?
Thanks in advanced.

Offline gauravbajaj

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 10:56:28 AM »
Hi dear..
By default , in linux if u installl some software u cant see iits icon on desktop...
Ya can do one thing after installation just rum it from command line..., i dont know the exe file for the reall player.., but u can give r & after that press tab , it will show all the commands which starts for r...., after that choose the real playes exe file , i think it starts from real..
, after that it automatically create that icon on desktop....

& about ur another problem..., i m not sure but u can replace /etc/fstab entry...
change the  line where u mounted ur partition... /dev/hda5 /mnt/WinC defaults 0 0 to
/dev/hda5 /mnt/WinC defaults 1 2
i think after that ur pb will solve.......

Gaurav

Offline mliu

• Tux Awared
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 12:56:52 AM »
Dear Gaurav:
Thanks for the info.
1) Is there any command we can use when we run the rpm to trace up where the files were installed? I read a lot of books and they all use rpm -ivh, however, it only show a bar running and 100% when finished... I tried to search under /bin, /sbin, /var and /usr and can not find a  dictory called realplay or similiar. A lot of people read this article and only you answered me, do you guys use GUI when you use Linux?
2) I was told the database of RPM is under /var/lib/rpm, which program can open this file?
3) Since I have a 3* windows partitions, should all of them be added 1 2 instead of 0 0?

Offline gauravbajaj

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 04:02:03 AM »
hi dear
iI never use GUI for install any package in Linux....
but u can do also from GUI
& After installation of a rpm package  the exe file  is installed in usallyt /usr/bin butr not always.., if its is an RPM package u can run it ... in command line...
i.e if its a reeal player then usally its exe file starts with r

so type r in cmd l-ine & press TAB.., it shows all the cmds  starts from r, after that choose from that i think there must be a file for real player.............
& abgt ur secnd ques that where to put defaukt 1 2.. , ya u xcan put there where u want  read as well as write permission.....

Gaurav

#

Offline mliu

• Tux Awared
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 01:36:10 PM »
Dear Gaurav:
Thanks for that. It works perfectly :-) I found the realplay under /usr/bin.
Many thanks.