March 28, 2024, 09:36:47 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Red Hat 9 installation problem ( screen goes blank)  (Read 6889 times)

Offline admore

• Linux Noob !
Red Hat 9 installation problem ( screen goes blank)
« on: April 02, 2005, 11:28:54 AM »
:(  well,  l am tryingto install REDHAT9 on a Gateway2000 ( which has a Window$ 98 running, but l intent ot format the drive during linux installation), with 2G HDD, and 64MB RAM. l pop in the CD and boot. Then the screen says linux <enter>and linux text <enter>, there is nor red hat ( in red) as the normal installation. Pressing F2 up to F$ shows the screens fine. When l hit enter, the screen goes blank forever, but l can hear the sound of the CD activity.

What is happening, and what is the way around this. Is the issue a video driver or what?

:shock: Admore

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 07:36:14 PM »
your compuer seems to be having very limited in resources..
Instead give a try to Smoothwall !

Offline admore

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 06:46:58 AM »
Quote from: "Ricky"
your compuer seems to be having very limited in resources..
Instead give a try to Smoothwall !
Does it mean that is why( low resources) the machine presents the black screen???

What are the minimum resources required for RedHat9 installation??

Help, l want this to be a Webserver with MySQL...

I cannot afford another machine!!!! ( sob)

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 10:24:06 AM »
I had tried to install RH9 on pc with configuration equals to yours but atm processor was fast enough . It was P4 1.5 Ghz .
But still i was not able to install, then I Installed RH7.2 in text mode.

RH9 needs a good processor.. basically ghz one and min. 96 mb of RAm but practically 256 should be considered minimum. Hardisk is also very low in space for u!

I have suggested smoothwall, which is meant specially for gateway but not webservers.. still you can install apache, php , mysql etc on it.'

If you can increase RAm to 256 mb the you can do.. but still later hd will become a barrier.

Alternatively.. Install an old LINUX distro which as low system requirements.

Offline gauravbajaj

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 11:16:54 AM »
hi ..
Can u tell what VGA card do u have..??
It may be a pb of low resources & may be of VGA card.. as the above memory is also in 1 of  my computer but still its running....

Gaurav

Offline admore

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 06:56:57 AM »
well, l connot boot into my Window$, after l changed some monitor settings. The only information l can get from looking at the hardware and boot infor is that it is an onborad VGA card, PCI bridge VGA.

How can l probe for more information??

Offline admore

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 07:25:55 AM »
Quote from: "admore"
well, l connot boot into my Window$, after l changed some monitor settings. The only information l can get from looking at the hardware and boot infor is that it is an onborad VGA card, PCI bridge VGA.

How can l probe for more information??
Please add to the above information: l cannot get the installation to run ( l still get the black screen) even if l try to use "linux text". l ma using a Likom monitor ( fairly new) and the old box.

Thank you