April 23, 2024, 06:18:02 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: software installation  (Read 5281 times)

Offline mliu

• Tux Awared
software installation
« on: March 28, 2005, 09:28:20 AM »
Hi, there.
Can anybody tell me the common rule for software installation.
For example, after I install the RPM package, where to find the files and how to run them? Will that be different all the time? How can we setup any short cut automatically? Anywhere can find any instructions?
My platform is RH Fedora.
Many thanks for your time.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
software installation
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 04:55:56 PM »
You had earlier asked the same : :) see this http://www.linuxsolved.com/forums/ftopic650.html

Anyways.. this time i m giving you the steps..

If you want to install a rpm then from gui simply double click it.. like you do for .exe files in windows.. then it will check dependencies and if find ok then will install.

Other way from command lin is
Code: [Select]
rpm -ivh <rpm file nam>

you may want to know more about that using..
Code: [Select]
man rpm

If you are installing from source code.. that came in usually tar.gz or bz2 etc format..

Then first extract them and then go the place where they usually u have to do following this..

./configure
make
make install

but better information about installing from source code can be find usually along with that software.

Offline mliu

• Tux Awared
answer
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 11:39:41 PM »
Dear Ricky:
Appreciated for your answer.
However, I am not looking for how to install a program. But want to know which path to find the programs has been installed. Will that be pre-set in the program? How can I change it? How can I choose where to put them when I run the install program? For example, Java, should I install it under /usr? Or under /bin?
Sorry for the coonfused. Since I have been using MS windows for such a long long, I need to change the habit.

Offline gauravbajaj

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
software installation
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 04:55:00 AM »
Hi dear

There is no specific location where the files are installed...., if its an rpm package then  its default location is in /var/lib/rpm...,
its executable file  will install in /usr/bin....., if package is tar when u configure it, it will automatically build in kernel....
Gaurav

Offline mliu

• Tux Awared
File location
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 11:30:59 PM »
Dear Gaurav:
Thanks for your info.
For example, some programs, like open office , if I want everybody can use it, where should I put them? How to make a link so there every user can have a shortcut to that program?
The other programs, say Java, only for particular group/user, where to put them and allow particular people to access that?
Is there any group policy somewhere to control?
Many thanks for your time.
Best regards.

Offline gauravbajaj

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
software installation
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 04:30:42 AM »
Hi dear,
I think u r asking that u want to give some permissions to some specific users...

U can use chmod or SUDO

Go for good tutorials for SUDO
Gaurav