April 20, 2024, 01:44:50 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Redhat FED "eral" security bullshit  (Read 3356 times)

Offline knutove1728

• Linux Noob !
Redhat FED "eral" security bullshit
« on: January 20, 2005, 01:45:19 PM »
:oops:
Redhat has through the hurry release of Fedora core (read Federal Core) really brought the federal authority to the playground. After 9/11 these releases (not RH9 ) are wideopen for federal hackers to really explore your computer looking for terrorist traces. I noticed after installing fc2 that it occupied twize the size of RH9. 13 Gb all together. RH9 6.6 Gb. And after using it for a while with many unexplained errors I finally found out it had a "shadow second operating system in it". Hence the size. The reason was that a totally different desktop with other icons showed up when I was hazzling to install the onboard Nvidia Nic. After a while I soon realized I was hacked and also one windows xp machine on the LAN got hacked. I assume Redhat are very well paid to open such backdoors to your computer, and I assume other vendors also are. Espesially american. My advice is if you dont want your pc investigated, stay to older versions of Linux.

Klute.

PS. What about the Legacy name of fc1.

Offline dragoncity99

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 01:28:06 AM »
Wow, that sounds so scary indeed.

In this case, why not choose other versions of distro that since the size of the RH/FC is so big.
I moved to Slackware as i know i dont need all unecessary programs. Slackware keeps it small and simple.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
Re: Redhat FED "eral" security bullshit
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 11:04:45 AM »
Quote from: "knutove1728"
:oops:
Redhat has through the hurry release of Fedora core (read Federal Core)
Klute.

PS. What about the Legacy name of fc1.

Well I totally disagree for a while !
Do you know a thing named firewall ? if you don't have proper firewall then whatever systme you are running could be hacked easily..

What I want to say .. misconfiguration = hacking !

Offline knutove1728

• Linux Noob !
Redhat Fed "eral" security bullshit
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 10:50:28 AM »
Yes I have firewall. Strict one and I have very few services running using the ports. But thats not the point. The point is why FC2 use 13 Gb of space while rh9 use 6 with not so many added features. And why should I get a totallay diffrent desktop by a mistake. FC2 also run much slower that rh9 and when using Skype IP-telephony the sound is choppy like the PC should serve and get a response from 2 operating systems simultanesly.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 10:24:04 AM »
umm.. I have not use FC2 yet.. (happy with slack) but have used FC1 and that was better in someaspect then RH9 (ofcourse with some work on it) ~

About so much of space it is using, it is all yours, you can analyse which part is used by which system.
!