April 26, 2024, 03:32:38 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Linux cannot access internet through Windows XP [SOLVED]  (Read 6267 times)

Offline MichaelP

• Linux Noob !
Linux cannot access internet through Windows XP [SOLVED]
« on: January 06, 2005, 07:56:03 PM »
Hello,

I'm facing a problem to configure my Linux station accessing internet.
Th Linux computer must access internet through a WinXP gateway.

The WinXP computer is running Proxy+ (from Fortech) and a Sygate firewall.

Accessing the Linux computer from the WinXP is not a problem. All works correctly (PuTTY, Ping)...  but, accessing internet through the Linux computer is something more hard !

The Linux computer can ping the WinXP one. No problems. But if I try to access something outide the LAN, it does not work...

In fact, I think (but I'm not sure) that the Linux box doesn't knons that he has to use the proxy to goes out my private lan...  HOw can I configure that ?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Michael  (new in Linux...)

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 08:15:21 AM »
well when you are accessing internet using PROXY server (here proxy+ ) then you have to first put all the computer on same LAN on Same ip range and same subnet. you have already done so well.

NOw to access internet you have to configure linux's browser to use proxy server. I hope you know that.

Lastly you can only access outside on a client in lan through your gateway if you have NAT running. Since you don't have NAT then you can't do such .
ie Proxy can only share internet on browser level.

Offline MichaelP

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 08:52:30 AM »
Hello Ricky.
Many thansk for your reply.

Effectivelly, my computers are all on the same IP range and subnet.
I can ping any computer from another one.

The problem is on the Linux computer. In fact, it is NOT running any X interface. It is running only in command line mode. I need the internet access for CVS in order to download packages (updated or new). And this is what I'm unable to set on the Linux machine... Therefore, I do not have any linux browser and do not needs one...

I don't know what is NAT (so I think it is not installed)... I will try to find out some documentation on this product.

Many thanks again for your reply.

MichaelP

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 10:04:00 AM »
well to do NAT .. it is called Internet Connection sharing in windows..

Offline MichaelP

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 10:28:41 AM »
So, if I understand well, I must use the 'Internet Connection sharing' in WinXP to allow the Linux computer to access the internet... whereas this option is not set for another computer (under WinXP also) on my LAN...

What I'm afraid is that XP wants to activate also the firewall while sharing the internet connection... I have my own which works nicely...

I'll try this evening. Many thanks again Ricky for your help.

Offline MichaelP

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 09:20:07 PM »
Waow...
I tried to share my Internet Connection... What a mess !!!!

I've never seen that before... I loose all my network connections, the MS Firewall starts and cuts me most of the network exhanges....

FINSIH for me ! I don't want anymore the MS internet connection sharing... So that, I imagine I can forget accessing the internet from the Linux computer...

Is there any NAT server I could run on the WinXP computer ?

Many thanks for your help...

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 08:59:33 AM »
you can run winroute lite !

Offline MichaelP

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 10:17:08 AM »
I found Winroute and installed it yesterday evening, nut not the Lite version)... It seems to be a good product... but I had a big problem...

Knowing that I've now my firewall (Seagate) and the MS one, I had a pretty strange problem... My computer reboots after 20 seconds...

20 seconds is the time I had to stop WinRoute... Then of course unistall it !

Meanwhile, I find these product interesting (except the fact that no networking/ADSL routing was working)... Does the lite version more suitable to my needs ?

Manu thanks for your help.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2005, 09:22:06 AM »
Well. winroute lite  is only for NAT , no other stuff is there so i recommended that.
anyways..

this is a LINUX forum and I think windows related problem like reboot might not be solved here.. btw i think you have to apply few latest patches to your XP !
and what about vireses..

Offline MichaelP

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2005, 02:59:01 PM »
Quote from: "Ricky"
Well. winroute lite  is only for NAT , no other stuff is there so i recommended that.
anyways..

this is a LINUX forum and I think windows related problem like reboot might not be solved here.. btw i think you have to apply few latest patches to your XP !
and what about vireses..

I absolutly not worry about viruses and/or updates/pacthes...
I'm often up to date about that...

The problem is that I' already running Proxy+/Sygate Personal Firewall/Microsoft Firewall. Once added WinRoute Lite (finally it is this one), at the first network operation (Linux box or another WinXp computer), the computer holding the ADSL connection reboot... Surrely a conflict between all that products... I have to check this out !

Many thanks for your advise. If you recommend it often, it should works... Maybe my computer has something wrong.. but what !

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2005, 10:11:51 AM »
well. i want to tell share one thing here that I had also used winroute pro and found that it makes computer to reboot when i disconnect the internet(dialup) , basically it was with win98. Tried that in XP, it is not there. You can consult winroute forum for this purpose (although they no longer produce winroute instead called it firewall).

Offline MichaelP

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2005, 01:53:40 PM »
Hello Ricky.

I finally prefer a hardware solution rather than a software one !

I've installed an ADSL Modem/Router with NAT facilities, and all my computers connected to my LAN can access the internet, ping any domain and so on, whatever they are running Linux or WinXP.

Many thanks for your support.

MichaelP