March 29, 2024, 01:11:53 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Linux and windows ? ?? better ??  (Read 8492 times)

Offline keen_prat

• Linux Noob !
Linux and windows ? ?? better ??
« on: December 22, 2003, 08:10:22 AM »
Hi. i m not new to Linux nor expert in Linux but wht i m seeing that newer Linux distros are trying to mimic the windows..
eg. see.. Xandros
...........  Lindows..
............ Elx
............. mendrake...

and many new...  
Why linux do't try to be different from windows..
They say they are trying to make it User friendly then does it mean making it like windows.. can't linux become user friendly in its unique way ???

:::::
Just a thought...

Offline narsingh

• Linux Noob !
Linux and Windows
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 09:40:26 AM »
Well, there are about 350 different distributions of Linux. And of these you have a few which are trying to bring Windows type functionality. That does not necessarily lead to the conclusion that Linux is mimicking Windows. Linux is all about freedom, and if you don't like a particular interface, you can always have it differently.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 12:51:01 PM »
I agree narsingh partially...  b'cause most of the linux distro which are famous and easily available are window like... or becoming.. windows interface.. Does it means --- M$ windows = User friendly = window mimic by linux distros ??

Offline linuxhelper

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 01:28:48 PM »
I believe that this os business is all about making money nomatter how you look at it. If some distros are trying to beat windows that means they will definitely introduce windows features that is good and powerful

Offline aaa

• Tux Awared
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 04:55:02 PM »
They say they are trying to make it User friendly then does it mean making it like windows.. can't linux become user friendly in its unique way ???
Windows isn't neccesarily user-friendly (as a gui can be). The distros are imitating Windows because that's what most people are used to. Even if they did make it more user-friendly compared to Windows, it would still  be different  (and appear to be harder) to Windows users. Uninclined people would like it, but there aren't as many of them.

Offline johntaylor

• Linux Noob !
Linux / Windows
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 01:29:53 AM »
Windows isn't neccesarily user-friendly (as a gui can be). The distros are imitating Windows because that's what most people are used to.

I aggree with aaa in saying windows isn't neccesarily user friendly. Windows has so many bugs in versions below 2k. I found linux much easier to configure to make it work the way I wanted. And I have literally never had a linux box bomb when being used in x.

Offline dragoncity99

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2004, 02:16:13 PM »
Yes, i agree with u guys, Windows isn't necessary user friendly in GUI. They are in fact shielding knowledge behind an OS.

Linux is different, u fix the problems urself when u see one. Linux will tell u why it happened and how to solve it.  U know what's happening if there are failures and bugs. Remember, u have the rights to know what code is running and wat are they doing on ur machine.

Honestly, i do have the same thinking when i first  use Linux thinking why there is no standard GUI like M$ Windows does.  :oops:

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 07:43:29 AM »
I have seen recently in a magzine that windows is wht they have today was inspired by mac / apple in early stages..
In real world Mac is the Guru of all GUI and it still does..
They are now developing some thing called "Hello World" a new desktop system that could again set up the standard..

I have never ever used mac but just kno it is something based on unix..ie freebsd , so if freebsd then y can't linux have somthing like that ?

Offline Stuart36

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 02:12:49 AM »
I agree Linux has always been about putting out something that "just works"...how many times do you see ppl complaining about something on Micro$oft NOT WORKING? lol i thought so :wink: The GUI's in linux are great look at KDE and GNOME, they kick butt.  :D