March 19, 2024, 07:23:38 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Mandrake 9.X Install How To. Step by Step  (Read 30742 times)

Offline raxxal

Re: RAID, cont'd
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2004, 11:49:22 PM »
Quote from: "gmusser"
Hi everyone, thanks for those links.  Unfortunately, they don't describe the procedures for configuring RAID using the Mandrake installer/DiskDrake.  If I just forget about DiskDrake and try to follow the instructions on those sites, I immediately run into the question of how to partition the drive -- an issue that the sites don't address.

Maybe I should forget RAID and use the brute-force approach of using one drive as the operating drive and periodically backing it up to the second drive.  It's a pity that such DiskDrake is essentially undocumented....

George
Using diskdrake, I just installe two hard drive using raid 1 in my computer under mandrake 10. This is or more or less what I did:
You need to partition the hard drives for  a RAID type(fd), not ext3.
I partioned  my two HD as follow:
On partiotion for /boot <-- This MUST be partition number 1!  I am saving some grief to you, it took me a whole morning, 5 failed installations, a nap, and some thinking to figure out  what the heck was wrong.
LINUX and I guess any UNIX for this matter, like, love, must have, etc, the firt partition for the boot process, make sense, right?
The next one was or is: the SWAP partition
Then my /usr  / and /home partition.

/boot
/
/usr
/home
They have to defined as a raid partition except /swap of course.
Next mount them in the RAID tab, and assigned the mounting points listed above. When you are defining raid partition, you don't defined the mounting point yet. You define the mounting points using the RAID tab. Hope this help.

Raxxal

Offline Abalfazl

Mandrake installing
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2005, 12:18:20 PM »
Hello

I'm trying to install Mandrake

While installing this massage is shown:

Could not mount compressed loop back

And then:

Fatal error finishing intialization

Please guide me about that.