Linux in General > Linux Tutorials & How To's

Mandrake 9.X Install How To. Step by Step

<< < (2/4) > >>

arty62:
Sorry Dalek, thought I was registered...am now...Just took a peek at my drive....great big C!!  am wondering if better off w/o RAID array?  Wonder what at risk if I eliminate the RAID?

Ricky:
Wht do u wanna do.. software raid or hardware raid??

dalek:
Well, if I had important data, I would back it up even if on a RAID array.  I have seen a controller go bad and erase both drives at the same time.  It is a good security blanket, but it won't help you in case of a fire or something.  Back-ups that are off site are the best insurance.

A company I used to work for had this setup.

Each night, two DATA sets were made, one stayed on-site, the other went home with the boss or whoever was there last.  At the end of the week, two FULL back-ups we're made and went home with the owner.  There were two full back-ups at any time and two data back-ups as well with one being on site.  The tapes were replaced every 90 days for the daily sets and 6 months for the weekly set.  

The set up was sound even if the place caught on fire since only one set was on site.  I will say that they were used once.  A big truck went over a speed bump and shook the whole building.  It did this just as the heads were going across the drive.  They both died.  They were identical drives.  Disaster Recovery was no help.  It actually pulled the magnetic media off the plater.

RAID is good, just not perfect.  I would back that data up if it is important.

Later

:D  :D  :D

gmusser:
Do you think you could walk me through RAID setup under the Mandrake graphical installer?  I have searched all over the web for a tutorial on using RAID under Mandrake but can't find a darned thing, and the installer itself has pretty pitiful documentation.  For instance, where should I put the swap space and the bootloader?

Many thanks,
George

dalek:
Ricky may can help.  I have never used RAID myself.  Just in case Ricky hasn't either, I found some links for you to try.  The first is to a pdf type file.  You have to click on the RIAD one to download.  

http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/01

http://www.linuxvoodoo.com/resources/howtos/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html

If Ricky can't help, I hope one of those two links will.  My rig don't support RAID and I make a back-up copy from time to time.

Hope that helps.

:D :D :D :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version